Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darlingtonia Question

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Jimscott: Sorry to hear the cobra experiment did not fair so well, but I am sure it was a good learning experience nontheless. Was it critters, weather, or the water that did them in, or a combination of those? Your planter looks awesome and those cobras look happy, as do all the others on your deck! Looks like you need some of my D. filiformis x tracyii for variety? Haha.
    I'm reasonably sure that it was critters. LFS, apparently, makes good nesting material. D. filiformis? Indeed! The water is actually pretty good for the plants. I had U. gibba & Aldrovanda thriving with that water.

But when I switched to using creek water, last year, they declined and died out. Learning experience is a polite way of putting it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra Lily's are a cool mountain plant, not a bog plant. I have about 5 miles from here 100s of 1000s of them. The are a bright cool mountain plant and almost always will be found where cool water can flow through the roots. They are not heat lovers, altho will live in full to parchel sun. around here you can find them in ditches along side the road, on the side of the mountain and next to the river. They are a native of Oregon and California.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting to grow one of these for the longest time... But I can't find any ideal climate info but I think my 9b climate would kill It pretty fast.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in 8b and grow them in the sunniest parts of the greenhouses. Why not give it a try? It's worth it
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nights during the summer here and just as hot and muggy as the day time. This is a plant that depends on a fairly drastic drop in night temperature that I can't provide. The shade might be doable but I still think that's too hot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a bank of thermometers to monitor the root temperatures of my Darlingtonia colonies. Perhaps when the summer results are in you may find you can reconsider.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12