User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foliar Fertilizer for Darlingtonia

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Foliar Fertilizer for Darlingtonia

I have many Darlingtonia seedlings and one larger one and was thinking about spraying diluted orchid fertilizer (Better-Gro) n them as a foliar feed. While I am at it, I thoughtabout trying it with some Sarrs and maybe even a Dionae or two.

Advisable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this awesome link from Brie: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...tilization.php

It has details on an experiment with Sarracenia and a Miracle-Gro fertilizer that sounds similar. Sarracenia can thrive in it although I can't comment on Dionaea or Darlingtonia. From what I remember briefly reading, Dionaea + any type of fertilizer = big no no?

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article about fertilizer in the soil. Thanks for that link.

I still wonder about the foliar feeding.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey3288 View Post
    ...From what I remember briefly reading, Dionaea + any type of fertilizer = big no no?
    Oddly, when I applied water-soluble Miracle-Gro to my plants' water tray (after being extremely diluted, of course), only my typical Venus flytrap experienced negative effects; all the other plants grew impressively for a short period of time. I would say that it probably is just inherited genetics, but don't take my word for it. Carry out an experiment, a massive one if you wish, and then report back to us here at the forum. This is not a command. This is not a command.

As for applying fertilizer to the plant's leaves, I don't know.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    I have many Darlingtonia seedlings and one larger one and was thinking about spraying diluted orchid fertilizer (Better-Gro) n them as a foliar feed. While I am at it, I thoughtabout trying it with some Sarrs and maybe even a Dionae or two.

Advisable?
    Is that pitcher big enough to squirt some dilute fertiliser in it? I did it years ago with seedling Darlingtonia, Sarracenia and young Cephalotus from leaf cuttings. Always in the pitcher not on the outside.
    Hypodermic needle and syringes kits I get free from the Chemist ( EDIT: Pharmacist ), after a lecture on AIDS and sharing needles, even though they know I use them on plants. Thank you NHS
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already fertilized my Darlingtonia a few times this season with both coffee and a dilute urea-free orchid fertilizer as a soil drench. Only side-effect was a quick and pronounced increase in pitcher production.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    I've already fertilized my Darlingtonia a few times this season with both coffee and a dilute urea-free orchid fertilizer as a soil drench. Only side-effect was a quick and pronounced increase in pitcher production.
    Did you have a plant that you didn't fertilise as a control to monitor differences?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are too small to fill with fertilizer, which is a bummer considering this is the most natural approach. Patience, eh?

I might try an experiment, PP. Fred and Mato are encouraging me some, too, to this end.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 05-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast