Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with a purpurea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squirrels are a problem with CPs? I'm fortunate indeed! I have a state of the art area denial system in place which has denied squirrels access to my property. I have a large tree in my yard that has been a nesting spot for squirrels since we got the place. The first two years I had squirrels galore all over. Fortunately I wasn't growing CPs, but they did do a number on the Crocuses I scattered around. I acquired the system about 4 years ago, and about two years ago I realized that there were no more squirrels at my birdfeeder. I started looking for them and quickly realized they were still around, and still nesting in the tree. One morning I watched squirrel after squirrel forage across the ground on my neighbor's property, then take to the trees and traveling in the canopy, head right to the nest in my tree! I watched them leave by the same route. I saw a squirrel walking the fence the other day, and it set off the system. It didn't look like a Flying Squirrel, until it flew up a tree! And the really cool thing is that birds don't set it off, so I still get the normal characters at the feeders. The system isn't cheap, requires a lot of hands on diy to get it working properly, and the operating expenses are not inconsiderable and ongoing. But if you have a squirrel problem it might be something to consider. The system is actually pretty straightforward to install. Here's how I did it:
    Step 1. Acquire a baby of a larger parrot species, (in my case a Macaw) which still requires hand feeding twice a day.
    Step 2. Raise the bird to where it requires only one feeding a day.
    Step 3. Acquire an 8 week old Anatolian Shepherd. Any questions, concerns, or problems with this will be addressed in Step 6.
    Step 4. Allow puppy and bird to bond with STRICTLY supervised play. Allow the puppy to clean the bird after feedings. Saves you the job!
    Step 5. Show the puppy from any early age the borders of his/her territory. Reinforce this often. Fencing helps. A lot.
    Step 6. Let nature take its course.
    I think that seeing squirrels bullying birds at the feeder triggered his protective instincts, and he saw squirrels the way his daddy saw coyotes on the goat farm he came from. But in any case my property is now a squirrel free zone!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol wut
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfreak23 View Post
    There are no growing leaves at the moment. I did figure out how to keep squirrels away though. If you put steaks wherever there are plantless spots the squirrels will not bother the pot altogether.
    In my yard putting "steaks" in the pots will encourage crows and other critters that enjoy meat to come raid the pots.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    In my yard putting "steaks" in the pots will encourage crows and other critters that enjoy meat to come raid the pots.
    lol

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhow, are the plants doing any better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Anyhow, are the plants doing any better?
    nope still brown. I think its dead. But luckily one of the torn up pieces is growing a little pitcher, so i still have atleast one purpurea

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! As long as you have one plant, you can divide it and it'll become more than one plant! It will be divided, but it won't be conquered.
    And even if all the aboveground parts are brown and nasty, it might not be dead...yet. Of course it's the common fate of all organisms to die, but let's hope that that fate won't befall your plant...yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Squirrels are a problem with CPs? I'm fortunate indeed! I have a state of the art area denial system in place which has denied squirrels access to my property. I have a large tree in my yard that has been a nesting spot for squirrels since we got the place....
    When posts are this long, I typical skim through them and try to get an idea of what they say rather than read them word for work. You should try doing this on your post- skimming through this post is a brain trip :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast