User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 17

Thread: help with a purpurea!

  1. #1
    guitarfreak23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    help with a purpurea!

    Hey all, I am having some trouble with a purpurea venosa and all visible parts of the plant above the ground are brown. Should I let it be and see if it recovers, or should I divide whats left of the rhizome and plant those?

  2. #2
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is "on the edge" of dying, repotting would only make it worse..
    (unless there is something wrong with the media itself)
    But if the media is fine, then leaving it alone would be the best option..see if it recovers.

    Whats the background on the plant?
    Did it have a winter dormancy but not come back this spring?
    where has it been growing the past few years?

    Do you think the media is ok? what is the media?
    and how long has it been since the last repotting?

    Scot

  3. #3
    guitarfreak23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    If it is "on the edge" of dying, repotting would only make it worse..
    (unless there is something wrong with the media itself)
    But if the media is fine, then leaving it alone would be the best option..see if it recovers.

    Whats the background on the plant?
    Did it have a winter dormancy but not come back this spring?
    where has it been growing the past few years?

    Do you think the media is ok? what is the media?
    and how long has it been since the last repotting?

    Scot
    Ok The plant is a purp venosa I got 2 years ago from a lowes deathbox. It has successfully gone through both dormancies. At one point last year it was extremely healthy and had many large pitchers. This year I have seen two pitchers and a flower stalk come up but due to squirrels all were broken off. I did pull it up ( i guess ignorantly ) about a week ago and it was still alive with roots. I planted it in the same spot with a tiny bit more of the plant exposed as it was completely buried before. now the exposed parts (what was left of the flower stalk and other 2 pitchers) are brown. For the first year it was in my front yard (6 hours direct sun) and for the second year it was on the back porch (3 hours of direct, yea i know its low, but It still grew vigorously). The media is absolutely fine. I have a happy sarracenia ladybug, sarracenia flava seedlings, a drosera rotundifolia, and a flytrap in the same pot. All are very happy. For the past 2 years it has happily grown in the same pot until squirrels messed with it. Theyve even completely dug it up at one point this winter,destroying all pitchers and most roots. I replanted it then, and it was coming out of dormancy fine... until the squirrels came back.

  4. #4
    The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, how I hate squirrels. They're ruthless monsters who'll dig up your pots just to hide nuts. Roman Tyrant has stated that he wards off squirrels by hiding his pots behind a ring of cacti. Anyhow, if your plant's roots were mangled by squirrels, your plant is in shock. It's that simple and it has the classic symptoms: leaf damage. (It happens in almost any kind of shock--heat, cold, light, etc.) If you grow your plant well it should recover. The only problem is that you've said your plant has no green leaves left. Let's hope your plant has enough stored food to come back.
    By the way, does your plant have any growing leaves?

  5. #5
    guitarfreak23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Oh, how I hate squirrels. They're ruthless monsters who'll dig up your pots just to hide nuts. Roman Tyrant has stated that he wards off squirrels by hiding his pots behind a ring of cacti. Anyhow, if your plant's roots were mangled by squirrels, your plant is in shock. It's that simple and it has the classic symptoms: leaf damage. (It happens in almost any kind of shock--heat, cold, light, etc.) If you grow your plant well it should recover. The only problem is that you've said your plant has no green leaves left. Let's hope your plant has enough stored food to come back.
    By the way, does your plant have any growing leaves?
    There are no growing leaves at the moment. I did figure out how to keep squirrels away though. If you put steaks wherever there are plantless spots the squirrels will not bother the pot altogether.

  6. #6
    The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfreak23 View Post
    There are no growing leaves at the moment...
    That's not good. However, I have heard about a Sarracenia purpurea with one live pitcher going a whole month before it made new ones. It stayed perfectly healthy. These pitcher plants are tough and are great plants to have around. It should recover. Just give it the conditions that helped it thrive so well and wait.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poor lil purp hope it shows life soon

  8. #8
    Sgt Sarracenia SgtSarracenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfreak23 View Post
    Ok The plant is a purp venosa I got 2 years ago from a lowes deathbox. It has successfully gone through both dormancies. At one point last year it was extremely healthy and had many large pitchers. This year I have seen two pitchers and a flower stalk come up but due to squirrels all were broken off. I did pull it up ( i guess ignorantly ) about a week ago and it was still alive with roots. I planted it in the same spot with a tiny bit more of the plant exposed as it was completely buried before. now the exposed parts (what was left of the flower stalk and other 2 pitchers) are brown. For the first year it was in my front yard (6 hours direct sun) and for the second year it was on the back porch (3 hours of direct, yea i know its low, but It still grew vigorously). The media is absolutely fine. I have a happy sarracenia ladybug, sarracenia flava seedlings, a drosera rotundifolia, and a flytrap in the same pot. All are very happy. For the past 2 years it has happily grown in the same pot until squirrels messed with it. Theyve even completely dug it up at one point this winter,destroying all pitchers and most roots. I replanted it then, and it was coming out of dormancy fine... until the squirrels came back.
    I am sorry to here about your little purp. I had an issue with a few of my Sarrs shortly after it started to warm up also. When I did all of my divisions, like you, I exposed more of the rhizome than was exposed before, and the plants started to wilt and die back. After I covered the rhizome with more soil they showed improvement slowly, but have since fully bounced back. Like others have said though, they are tough but without any green showing it's gonna be a battle.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •