What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the chance of this surviving?

I've had this purpurea for over a year now, last summer it dried out (I ran out of water) and almost completely died off. After a while of not doing anything I went out yesterday and noticed a new leaf growing. All seemed well until I went outside today and this is what I saw:
IMG_2022.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell what happened with it from the picture, but pretty much the entire growth point of the plant is gone. It looks like something just took a bite out of it, perhaps a bird or maybe a bug of some type. Anyway here is a second picture from the top, and as you can see there is literally nothing left of the growth point. I'm not sure about how big the rhizome is either, but I do know there are no other growth points.
IMG_2026.jpg

So I'm just wondering what is the chance that these will survive? I feel like any chance it had has just been taken from it.

Slugs will do that. Not much you can do but wait and see.....and avoid putting it where slugs can get at it again.

Sarracenia purpurea is a tough plant. It will come back if it has enough stored food in its rhizome. After all, in the wild there are animals that eat and tread on plants. They expect this.

Slugs will do that. Not much you can do but wait and see.....and avoid putting it where slugs can get at it again.
I don't think it was slugs. The pot is in a dish of water which is sitting on a table which is on my deck. That would be a long ways for a slug to go for a tiny meal and then leave everything else untouched.

I'm hoping maybe a new leaf can come out of the middle, even though there isn't anything there that still is where leaves form and it's not blocked by anything, so it should get plenty of light. Also the green areas are hanging onto the plant by a thread but they are still green so perhaps the plant is hanging in there. I can only hope.

It it survives it will certainly have a nice back story :D

Back