Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darlingtonia growing in my bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful Cobras, and great bog setup for that matter! Do you record the day and night temperatures that these plants experience?
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    Beautiful Cobras, and great bog setup for that matter! Do you record the day and night temperatures that these plants experience?
    Thank you.

Summer temps average around 80 degrees with occasionally a few days reaching 100+. These get roughly 6-7 hours of direct sun late spring through summer. Average winter temps range from 34 degrees to the mid 40s, but do dip into the 20s for a few days in a row a few times during winter and occasionally into the teens. When temps are below freezing at night it usually warms up to above freezing during the day, but these have experienced being encased in ice for a couple days in a row a few times when arctic fronts have rolled through at the right time. These are the mountain variety that are well adapted to even harsher winter conditions than what we get here in the Portland, Oregon, area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ, have you ever monitored the water temperature during heat wave events? I know Jeff (Dallas) states that water temps can get quite high with no ill effects on Darlingtonia, but I'm skeptical that the genus really likes warm water in the root zone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    DJ, have you ever monitored the water temperature during heat wave events? I know Jeff (Dallas) states that water temps can get quite high with no ill effects on Darlingtonia, but I'm skeptical that the genus really likes warm water in the root zone.
    Ah, you have prompted me to brave the cluttered shed and dig out (literally) a box holding some old aquarium stuff today and I found a thermometer. Today with outside temps in the high 70s and overcast skies, the water temp in the pond that feeds the water flow through the cobra setup is 67 degrees.

What I have observed visiting some wild sites in the Siskiyou mountains in summer is cobras growing in slightly-cooler-than-tepid water near the bottom of stands that go up a mountainside, water visible on the surface and exposed to full sun. The cobras tend to get smaller as they descend down mountainsides, with the smallest being at the bottom growing in water-filled ditches alongside the road. I don't know if water temps play a role in that or not, but they are huge at the top. I did not see surface water at the top of these stands, but suspect the underground spring water that feed these stands is much cooler there.

I think another factor that plays an important role in cultivated cobras is oxygenated water, perhaps more important than "cold" water, as my cobras tend to look happier growing in the pond setup with "not-that-cold" flowing oxygenated water than in the bog with no flowing water and only water poured over them one or two times a day in the hottest part of summer. Seedlings also grow better/faster with a constant flow of oxygenated water in my experience. I will try to dig up some old pics for comparison.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Are you coming to the Portland meet this Saturday?
    I won't be able to make this one. I'll most likely see you guys at the next one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123