User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to carnivorous plants - how much water for pitcher plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to carnivorous plants - how much water for pitcher plants?

I decided to start with pitcher plants in a container bog.

I'm using a heavyweight plastic pot 16 inches high with a 14 inch diameter at the top. (It tapers down to about 10 inches in diameter.) I used a 50/50 mix of peat and play sand, which I mixed, watered and let sit in the pot for about a week before planting.

I planted three potted pitcher plants - a hooded pitcher (S. minor purpurea v heterophylla), S. leucophylla 'red ruffles', and the drop dead gorgeous hybrid 'Judith Hindle'. The pot sits on my deck outside (I am in USDA gardening zone 7b), and gets full sun for about 8 hours per day. As we get into summer, the pot should get closer to 10 hours of sun per day.

All the plants are doing well, and I am seeing some new growth on all of them. If I place my hand on the surface of the soil, the palm of my hand is damp, but not wet, when I remove it.

How watery should this container bog be? Should there be standing water in it, and if so, how much? We've had our typical spring rains, and when we've had flooding rain, I moved the container out of the storm. (I also had my son drill a hole in the side of it about 2 inches below the soil line.)

Any advice is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I am new, I am pretty sure that sarracenia like to have their pots sitting in a tray of water at all times. If you get the saucer meant for the pot you have them in, always keep an inch or more of rain or distilled water in the dish at all times during the growing season and you should be good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants aren't in pots. They are planted in the large container, which has no drain hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia enjoy being pretty wet, but I would avoid flooding them for very long. What I would do is drill a few holes two or three inches below where the rhizomes are. This will avoid them sitting in water if there's a heavy rain, but keep the majority of the soil constantly moist the rest of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Your setup seems above and beyond most of ours when we first acquired Sarracenia
    These plants generally do not enjoy being flooded over the rhizome, but there are exceptions with plants such as S. psittacina. The way you drilled a hole would be just the way I would recommend to fix this problem. Also, damp soil to the touch is top notch.

Overall, I really only have one critique, and that is:
    We need pictures!

Good Growing,
    Kenny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...

Okay. It's storming now, and the pot is outside. I expect I'll have to tilt and drain tomorrow.

But I'll post a photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    overall sounds good just drill an additional hole lower in your container. I would say about halfway down the container would be perfect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast