Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White powder of death?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy White powder of death?

Umm...so yeah I saw some white powdery looking splotches on all of the plant in my mini bog. Is it fungus? What should I do? I'll post pics soon.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a type of mold. It could be bad, or it could not be bad. If your plants don't look like they're showing any reaction to it, i.e. no collapsing or wilted leaves, then it should be okay. The mold only eats dead stuff, and it shows your plants have some dead tissue and that it's surviving off of it. If your plants look bad, grow them as well as you can, but keep an eye on them.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't tell without pictures but it sounds like mealy bugs... Look up "mealy bug" on Google Images if you don't know what they look like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds more like powdery mildew to me.. but tough to say for sure without pics.
    Treat with a Bonide SULFUR based fungicide. Avoid the Bonide Copper based fungicides.. I learned the hard way that that stuff kills plants faster than the mildew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    It's a type of mold. It could be bad, or it could not be bad. If your plants don't look like they're showing any reaction to it, i.e. no collapsing or wilted leaves, then it should be okay. The mold only eats dead stuff, and it shows your plants have some dead tissue and that it's surviving off of it. If your plants look bad, grow them as well as you can, but keep an eye on them.
    The plant seems to be growing normaly, but it is just coming out of dormancy, so there s definitely some dead tissue. Pics coming ASAP.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Can't tell without pictures but it sounds like mealy bugs... Look up "mealy bug" on Google Images if you don't know what they look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    sounds more like powdery mildew to me.. but tough to say for sure without pics.
    Treat with a Bonide SULFUR based fungicide. Avoid the Bonide Copper based fungicides.. I learned the hard way that that stuff kills plants faster than the mildew.
    Is the white stuff like a thin film over the leaves, or is it like white floaty cotton candy? If it's like white floaty cotton candy, i.e. like loose strands of a cobweb, then it's probably mealy bugs. If it's just a thin film on the leaves, it's either the mold or powdery mildew. The former should exist only on dead tissue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

OK I went out and took some pics five minutes ago.

to an untrained eye it would look a bit like pollen. it's not really filmy...its more like cotton candy if i had to choose one. Its mostly on live tissue though. diagnosis?

edit* is it possible that it is pollen? I took another look, and the specks seem to be all over the plants and the medium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely NOT powdery mildew.. Don't think it's mealys either.
    If those specks are moving, then it's most likely aphids.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast