Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need Heliamphora Care Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice link, thanks for sharing utri

Edit: After the first read, i disagree with many points in the article. For example:
    "Heliamphora requires fertilization to grow well"

?? Its far to be true. And for a newbie, reading this can lead to a dead plant.

This plant was a single leaf cutting last year. With no fertilizer. Even in the juvenil stade. And my plant was not yellow like on the pictures i saw in the article. Do you think my plant will be better with fertilizer ?

Last edited by Maiden; 06-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, John's a bad*****.
    I am kind of stoked, I recently got some heli seeds from a trading partner. I have not started them yet but am really looking forward to it. I have never grown from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utricularia View Post
    Yeah, John's a bad*****.
    I am kind of stoked, I recently got some heli seeds from a trading partner. I have not started them yet but am really looking forward to it. I have never grown from seed
    Nice ask butch for advices, he is the real heliam master ! And not on the ego side like some forum owner! (Not you andrew)

Im looking foward for the pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Nice ask butch for advices, he is the real heliam master ! And not on the ego side like some forum owner! (Not you andrew)

Im looking foward for the pictures
    Thanks for the referrence, I am not sure I have spoken with Butch before but it is good to know who is growing Helis. I am going to be hitting people up for photos pretty soon here for a side project.

(edit) Oh wait, Av8tor, arn't you Butch?

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I picked up a big 432 cubic-inch (seven-liter) block of long-fiber Sphagnum. Could I just plant my Heliamphora minor in it, 100% moss?

Also, quoted by the article, bareroot Heliamphora should be bagged for a month. Didn't someone say they need circulation? And would a terrarium be an adequate substitute for a bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utricularia View Post
    Thanks for the referrence, I am not sure I have spoken with Butch before but it is good to know who is growing Helis. I am going to be hitting people up for photos pretty soon here for a side project.

(edit) Oh wait, Av8tor, arn't you Butch?
    yes. Av8tor is Butch. he's also releasing a detailed heliamphora growing article hopefully in the near future via the CPN.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Alright, I picked up a big 432 cubic-inch (seven-liter) block of long-fiber Sphagnum. Could I just plant my Heliamphora minor in it, 100% moss?

Also, quoted by the article, bareroot Heliamphora should be bagged for a month. Didn't someone say they need circulation? And would a terrarium be an adequate substitute for a bag?
    From my experience, 100% sphagnum moss work pretty well.

For the air circulation in the bag, open the bag everydays, this will provide ventilation, but for myself, i use a terrarium at almost 100%. So for me, yes you can use a terra as substitute.

Oh, and Amphirion too is a very experienced heliamphora grower!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post

The reason for the bag is just to acclimate them. I have; however, done just fine using a terrarium with high humidity (near 100% RH).

I have not tried pure LFS. I suspect it would be fine, personally I feel more comforable with something in there to open the media up like perlite or pumice. That's just me. I would be more inclined to trust LFS over dense peat mixes though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast