What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a Cephalotus.

Ngantnier

Formerly pond boy
I just received a nice baby cephalotus today. It was potted in LFS, and therefore I potted it into an airier mix of 2 parts sand and 1 part peat, with a topdressing of sand. I have it outside in bright shade, covered with a ziplock bag. I plan on gradualy removing the bag and the lb slowly move it into full sun over the next couple of weeks. Does this sound like a good plan? Also I currently have the plant sitting in about an inch of rain water, I plan on waiting for the tray to dry completely between waterings.

IMAG0142_zps9a2ad7c1.jpg

IMAG0144_zps80971ba7.jpg

you should raise the plant up a smidge so the crown (growth point) is above the surface of the media. It appears to be buried..

Done, thanks for the tip Mass.

Update, I decided to bring the plant in to my terarium shortly after I planted jt, as I realized its a bit late in the season and by the time it acclimated id have to bring it in anyway. Its growing about 4 inches under a 4 tube t5 fixture with a 16 hour photoperiod.It seems to be doing quite well and has grown several new leaves. There are 2 fuzzy ball things on the growth points which I believe to be new pitchers forming.
20130718_171028_20130718171928724_zps434b4007.jpg

According to my lux meter the plant is receiving 45k lux, so the low end of full sun. The tubes are a 50/50 mix of 3000k and 6500k tubes. So far im really impressed with the lighting as this was my first t5 fixture. Previously I just used old t12 fixtures.

Once I move (again) I want to attempt to take a ceph outside. Had them out last summer, but like you, I waited too late this year. I wish there was some good info on acculmating cephs to outdoor conditions.

Nice plant btw.

Nice little ceph you got there ! :)

Thanks:) Yeah I definately want to put it outside next year. I had one quite a few years back that I kept outside and it did amazingly well, atleast till our dog broke her chain and ate it, lol. We dont have dogs anymore so that shouldnt be a problem.

Looks great- what kind of T5 fixture did you get?

Nice looking ceph! Careful, they are addicting and soon you will feel a need to provide company for this one.

I would lose the ziplock and water from above.

Scott, I did that as soon as ibrought it indoors.
Utricularia: I go a 4 tube 2' t5 ho output onvflwabay for $55 shipped, so far im really happy with it.

Utricularia: I go a 4 tube 2' t5 ho output onvflwabay for $55 shipped, so far im really happy with it.

Great price! You got it where?

Nice ceph Maiden!
Jcal I bought it from ebqy seller speedyliquidation, they have many other models too qnd all of them are pretty cheap.

Not bad, not bad at all. I hate to admit what I paid for mine.....

Ngantnier said:
Update, I decided to bring the plant in to my terarium shortly after I planted jt, as I realized its a bit late in the season and by the time it acclimated id have to bring it in anyway. Its growing about 4 inches under a 4 tube t5 fixture with a 16 hour photoperiod.It seems to be doing quite well and has grown several new leaves. There are 2 fuzzy ball things on the growth points which I believe to be new pitchers forming

How do you people do that without burning your plants to a crisp? I can't even raise ky tray half an inch without bad results. Only the filiformis and binatas reach up that close and can take it.

Last edited:
edit! So much for skimming text.

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah that'd be a rip off, lol. I think the ceph was like $13? Definately alot more affordable than they were a few years back.

Back