Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of my sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeast View Post
    You still get the similar weather since you're just down the coast. Though once they flower, you'll be inclined to do crosses! I pollinated most of the S. x 'Mooreana' flowers with pollen from S. 'Doreen's Colossus' so hopefully I get some nice, tall growing babies.
    I'm sure I will be hooked once I get some Sarracenia flowers. My D. spatulata flowered today! And I already spent an hour trying to (unsuccessfully) photograph it. I can see some pollinating in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeast View Post
    I usually mitigate this by using garden stakes and/or bamboo chopsticks wrapped with green flex wire. Though the open mouth hybrids like S. x catesbaei usually fall over for me.
    Would you mind posting some pictures of how you keep the pitchers up with the chop stick method? I have a few garden spikes, but they are in use elsewhere. I'm a little worried about my pitchers being knocked over in a rainstorm while I'm away for the week. And I have tons of chopsticks around the house.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copper vase is a really beautiful plant! Never heard of it before. The second pic is awesome

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the hood on the S. x moorei and of course the Cobra's Nest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Girl View Post
    I'm sure I will be hooked once I get some Sarracenia flowers. My D. spatulata flowered today! And I already spent an hour trying to (unsuccessfully) photograph it. I can see some pollinating in my future.

Would you mind posting some pictures of how you keep the pitchers up with the chop stick method? I have a few garden spikes, but they are in use elsewhere. I'm a little worried about my pitchers being knocked over in a rainstorm while I'm away for the week. And I have tons of chopsticks around the house.
    If you do a good pollination, you can get hundreds of seeds from a single flower.

Here's how I prop up my smaller plants. For large plants I use metal stakes and wrap them a few times with the flex wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Copper vase is a really beautiful plant! Never heard of it before. The second pic is awesome
    Thanks. I don't know the parents but I'm guessing it has a little bit of S. purpurea, S. flava var. cuprea, and S. flava var. rubricorpora in it from what I've observed.

Quote Originally Posted by lil hokie View Post
    I love the hood on the S. x moorei and of course the Cobra's Nest!
    Thanks. Here's the S. x moorei as of today. As you can see, the orange has faded into a creamy white top with brown veins. I'm kinda annoyed that this plant only put out one pitcher this year.

Took another pic of the Cobra's Nest. Every day I pass by it, the pitchers look bigger and more maroon than when I last saw it. I'll try taking a ground level pic next time I get a chance.

Some of my seed pods are starting to develop. I can't wait to harvest them in the fall.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking collection!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. That is a brilliant idea! I will have to rig up some of my plants like that. When we get large storms my plants often bend in the wind and heavy rains. I just have small plants right now. What size do you start using the garden spikes? My largest plant is about a foot tall.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Nice looking collection!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Girl View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That is a brilliant idea! I will have to rig up some of my plants like that. When we get large storms my plants often bend in the wind and heavy rains. I just have small plants right now. What size do you start using the garden spikes? My largest plant is about a foot tall.
    It depends on how densely pitchered the plant is IMO. If it's for a single pitcher or a newly acquired addition, I wrap wire around the pitcher to keep it from getting blown around by the wind. I also use it for the taller, erect growing species and some of the taller species/hybrids that have open mouths that aren't covered by their lids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12