Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I believe I got a two-fer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Depends on where you live and how big the bog is. I have D. capensis in my Sarracenia that did fine through the winter, and I believe DJ has capensis surviving in her big bogs in Oregon. That Sarr is not a leucophylla by the way, maybe leucophylla x purpurea "Red Ruffles"?
    You're right. I went back and looked at the invoice.

I'm in central Arkansas, Zone 7b. From what I have read about d. capensis, it only takes winter temps down to about 35-40F. We do have about 60 days in the winter where our temps regularly dip down into the 20s, sometimes the teens. Most often, those nights are followed by temps above freezing, but sometimes not.

The mini bog is in a resin pot 16 inches tall, and 14 inches in diameter. My plan was to take it and the mini bog with the d. intermedia and flytraps and move them down to the ground in a sheltered location, and cover and surround them with pine needles for the winter. Would that be enough to protect the d. capensis?

I'm thinking if I need to separate the plants, I should go ahead and do it before either one gets any bigger, shouldn't I? Or wait for the sarr to start dying back for the winter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The capensis should do fine where you are with no mulching at all. I'm in zone 5 and I have them come back out in the bog occasionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    The capensis should do fine where you are with no mulching at all. I'm in zone 5 and I have them come back out in the bog occasionally.
    Yay! Thank you. I had already broken out in a cold sweat thinking of having to try not to destroy any roots to separate the plants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Should be just fine. The plant may die completely back but as long as it doesn't get any prolonged hard freezes, it should come back every spring and become a total nuisance in your collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take it...

Becoming a total nuisance would mean I'm doing something right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before winter, take some leaf cutting from the capensis. Then if it doesnt make the winter you will still have the plant

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a few pots of capes freeze solid this winter. I just know they were gone. I tossed all of them out except one pot. Kept the pot to see what would happen. What happened was a ton of capes grew from the roots. I lost a lot of plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Before winter, take some leaf cutting from the capensis. Then if it doesnt make the winter you will still have the plant
    Great idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast