User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 10

Thread: Ceph pitchers yellowing on frontal ridges.

  1. #1
    Roman Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ceph pitchers yellowing on frontal ridges.

    I've had my Ceph for quite a while now but I've noticed over the months that some pitchers seem to be yellowing a bit and the oldest pitchers at the under-center of the plant (hard to see in the pic) are definitely dead. Is this something to be worried about? I've heard the Cephs can often cause problems for themselves when things under the plant begin to rot. Is this plant starting to get too dense and should I break it apart?

    I grow this plant on a sunny windowsill. Could the hot summer sun be having a negative impact on it?


  2. #2
    Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot see the picture

  3. #3
    Roman Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I can view it just fine.

  4. #4
    BigBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the natural aging of the pitchers to me. Nothing lasts forever . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

    -- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

  5. #5
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm inclined to agree with David: that is natural pitcher aging. However, the surface of your medium suggests to me that it may be too dense. What is in the soil mix? And how long has this plant been in it? Is that a ceramic container? It looks to be a dark red color on the outside. If the pot sits on a sunny windowsill and the dark colored ceramic heats up significantly, you could be distressing the roots, which need to stay on the cool side.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cascadia Subduction Zone
    Posts
    2,113
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Tyrant View Post
    I've had my Ceph for quite a while now but I've noticed over the months that some pitchers seem to be yellowing a bit and the oldest pitchers at the under-center of the plant (hard to see in the pic) are definitely dead. Is this something to be worried about? I've heard the Cephs can often cause problems for themselves when things under the plant begin to rot. Is this plant starting to get too dense and should I break it apart?

    I grow this plant on a sunny windowsill. Could the hot summer sun be having a negative impact on it?
    I'm no expert at growing Cephalotus by any means (and frankly, I don't grow them very well at all), but I would be a little bit worried about that if I were you. The media just has a decomposed look about it, and coupled with the recent yellowing (something I only see when I force my plants into dormancy in the winter), there could be something ominous on the horizon. That being said, it could be nothing but senescence and a way for the plant to conserve some energy in the hotter months.

    However, I have a plant growing outside in a pot full of Sarracenia, which receives full sun all day - save the occasional shadow from its taller bed mates - and it seems to be growing ok. No yellowing, anyway.



    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    It looks like the natural aging of the pitchers to me. Nothing lasts forever . . .
    De Beer's has informed me that diamonds last forever and they're a girl's best friend. Exhume Elizabeth Taylor in "forever" and you will see that I'm right.

    What David said^


    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with David: that is natural pitcher aging. However, the surface of your medium suggests to me that it may be too dense. What is in the soil mix? And how long has this plant been in it? Is that a ceramic container? It looks to be a dark red color on the outside. If the pot sits on a sunny windowsill and the dark colored ceramic heats up significantly, you could be distressing the roots, which need to stay on the cool side.
    What Paul said^

  7. #7
    Roman Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with David: that is natural pitcher aging. However, the surface of your medium suggests to me that it may be too dense. What is in the soil mix? And how long has this plant been in it? Is that a ceramic container? It looks to be a dark red color on the outside. If the pot sits on a sunny windowsill and the dark colored ceramic heats up significantly, you could be distressing the roots, which need to stay on the cool side.
    The media mix is 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite. It's definetly not as fluffy as it used to be and I periodically have to scrap away the carpet moss. The interior pitchers also seem to be getting crushed by the plants newer growth. It's been in that ceramic container for about two years now. I thought heat stress might be a problem, especially with that hot evening sun, but the pitcher lids themselves haven't closed up.

    Do you think it's about time to break up the plant and put in some fresh soil?

  8. #8
    BigBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Tyrant View Post
    Do you think it's about time to break up the plant and put in some fresh soil?
    Having grown Cephalotus for years, I have come to realize that they can sulk for a while, after a repotting; and it would be a better option, in my opinion, to keep the plant a bit drier and in its original pot . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 07-09-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

    -- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •