User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Growing "Scarlet Belle" Inground Zone 7 or Colder?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot, you have to go by the temperatures, not the colored map. Those are almost always off a bit. Any grower or farmer in the area will tell you that we are in zone 5A according to the actual temperatures we experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I just want to chime in on the hardiness zone discussion. When was the last time we hit -10 degrees Fahrenheit in this area? I don't believe wind chill factors into the cold hardiness zone determination. I live in Bedford, MA and I can't remember the temperature falling below -5 for a long time. The chart says I am in zone 6b and that seems quite accurate based on the temperatures we have had here recently. It is hard to find weather data that shows lowest temperature by year, but the map seems very accurate to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Scot, you have to go by the temperatures, not the colored map. Those are almost always off a bit. Any grower or farmer in the area will tell you that we are in zone 5A according to the actual temperatures we experience.
    Wow, so you are right..and the USDA, the United States Department of Agriculture,
    the people who actually *created* the USDA zones we are talking about, and have spent the previous
    half a century gathering the data, researching and fine-tuning their USDA hardiness maps, for the entire USA, are wrong..
    interesting..

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Sorry, but you just cant pull that off!
    Its your word against the USDA, one of you is wrong about the USDA zones of Boston..
    um, yeah..it's definitely you.

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 07-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zone 6b here and I grow minors, scarlette belles, psittacina and psittacina hybrids without a problem in pots, bogs and mini bogs without any special protection during the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow psittacina and minor inground all year, no mulching, no problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12