What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had the opportunity this summer to work in Chicago, and while I love the city, it did mean I was away from my carnivorous plant garden. So after 9 weeks without seeing any carnivores (with the exception of scraggly Nepenthes at Chicago's conservatory), I decided to head out to Volo Bog. I read about the bog from Barry Rice's FAQ page, and I may as well give it a try. Because of the train schedule, I did not have too much time to wonder the trails so I stuck to the boardwalk. I saw a single, large clump of S. purpurea but it was neat to see growing in the sphagnum amongst tamarack trees. Utricularia gibba grew in the kettle lake in the middle of the bog. Other carnivores like Drosera rotundifolia and Utricularia vulgaris are reported to grow here as well. Next time I am in the area, I will try to devote more time to finding more plants; perhaps in the early summer when the bog orchids flower. Until then I am very excited to have finally seen S. purpurea in the wild! Here are some pics; sorry they are not too great as I left my camera in my roommates car and only had my Ipod to take pictures. Enjoy!

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Nice pics!

Thanks! The clouds made the pics easier to take

Next time you are thinking of going there, let me know (if you want company).
I live about a half hour away from it & have gone there for the past 40+years!
There are still other places around to see aquatic bladderwort, & there used to be some nice places to see Dews,
however development knocked the dews into a memory only.

But indeed, if you are ever in the area again, feel free to contact me.

Paul

Thanks for sharing, the Calla palustris (I think) is pretty cool!

Pretty awesome way to get your CP fix after a summer away from your plants! Awesome shots!

Thanks, I may have take you up on that offer. I'm thinking of going to grad school in Chicago next year. Before I decide, how do Sarracenia grow outdoors there?

Pretty awesome way to get your CP fix after a summer away from your plants! Awesome shots!

Yeah it was nice to finally see wild plants. It is amazing how widely distributed carnivores are. Most of the people visiting had no idea they were there!

Great pictures ! Thanks :)

"Most of the people visiting had no idea they were there"

-its perfect like that !

Great pictures ! Thanks :)

"Most of the people visiting had no idea they were there"

-its perfect like that !

That's right! In Cowles Bog, IN the last pitcherplant was poached several years ago. I was about to visit until I read that. THat is incredibly sickening.

Yep, very sad :( people who collect cps from the wild are so stupid. They dont know what they do.

Thanks for the ID. I've never seen it before, but it was growing everywhere.
No problem, I used to be really big I to aquatics. Thats ahy I went by pond boy :p

Back