Likes Likes:  20
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus consolidated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Nice!!! Glad it's recovering for you. Where did you find that large grain sand. It's caught my eye and wouldn't mind picking some up.
    Jcal I got that same silica sand in two sizes, co**** and medium. I use medium in my mix with peat and co**** for dressing. Agri supply on east coast carries it. Don't thin there is one in your state but VA, GA, NC and SC has agri location. Usually have to only wash it a little bit with 2ppm after 3 washes tap water then two distilled washes. Have not tested it before tap washes though.

Southern products & silica co.
    50LB bags extra fine, fine, medium and co**** sometimes they have extra co****.
    Farm Supplies Mower Parts Tractor Implements Cast Iron Cooking Hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know why *co**** is censored for me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually ended up discussing it in another thread. The end of the word is British slang for your rear end. You'd think the forum software would have an exception for co**** though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Just wanted to post a picture of my cephalotus plant that was recently replanted and was recovering from stress:

It is doing rather well I think. There are atleast two new growth points and it is pushing several cute and hairy pitchers. Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by gill_za; 06-07-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad its recovering! always nice to have a plant bounce back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad its recovering! always nice to have a plant bounce back.
    Jcal if you still looking for some silica sand products. I found an old survey of mines on the east coast, might be able to see if the ones near you sell it still. The silica sand company I mentioned before has been operating since that survey was done on the mines.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1072l/plate-38.pdf

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nauz View Post
    Jcal if you still looking for some silica sand products. I found an old survey of mines on the east coast, might be able to see if the ones near you sell it still. The silica sand company I mentioned before has been operating since that survey was done on the mines.

thanks! this is awesome!

#50 is the closest one to me in Tennessee. says quartz company but it doesn't look like that's what they mine according to the legend. might not mean anything but regardless they are getting a call from this guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nauz View Post

thanks! this is awesome!

#50 is the closest one to me in Tennessee. says quartz company but it doesn't look like that's what they mine according to the legend. might not mean anything but regardless they are getting a call from this guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! this is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! this is awesome!

Can't seem to find anything on the sewanee silica sand conglomerate. I'm looking around to see what might be marketed as retail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! this is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! this is awesome!

This sand looks like the aquarium gravel I used to use when in High School in the late 1960's. At the time it was called "#3 quartz". It was the standard aquarium gravel. $0.05 per lb. Now there are many high tech substrates sold by various companies for aquatic gardening.

Try searching for filter sands. It does come in various grades. Almost all are quartz/silica so they don't dissolve over time. I use a coarser sand/gravel at the bottom of Ion Exchange cylinders to enable better water distribution.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast