Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus consolidated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    This sand looks like the aquarium gravel I used to use when in High School in the late 1960's. At the time it was called "#3 quartz". It was the standard aquarium gravel. $0.05 per lb. Now there are many high tech substrates sold by various companies for aquatic gardening.

Try searching for filter sands. It does come in various grades. Almost all are quartz/silica so they don't dissolve over time. I use a coarser sand/gravel at the bottom of Ion Exchange cylinders to enable better water distribution.
    Thank you Jerry. Didn't think of that but makes sense. I'll give it a search

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big pot hummers looking good. Likes the new led light!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jcal, also see if there are any "Well construction" companies around. They use industrial silica for well lining as I mentioned in the reply to your original question. The sand I am using is not aquarium gravel as it is too sharp. The particles are about 2-3mm in diameter.
    Last edited by gill_za; 06-24-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured some aquarium gravel of the 1960's vintage and I'd have to say the #3 is referring to 3 mm max size of the grain. Minimum would be around 1.5 mm.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Are the aquarium gravel particles you mention almost oval in shape, really smooth? The stuff I have is literally crushed quartz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Interesting. Are the aquarium gravel particles you mention almost oval in shape, really smooth? The stuff I have is literally crushed quartz
    I took a photo today at work of this gravel. I took the photo at 8x, but to calculate the magnification on your screen you need to measure the scale bar from one point to the next in inches. Convert to decimal inches. Divide by 0.019685. Result is the magnification on your screen. The scale divisions are 0.5 mm. Example: my screen gives me 5/8" per division. That converts to 0.625". 0.625/0.019685 = 31.75. So the particle I am viewing is 31.75 times larger than the real particle.

I'd have to say this gravel would be all that passes a 3 mm screen and is retained by a 1 mm screen. Looking at the photo shows this is crushed and not tumbled in a ball mall to round it off. A lot of gravel in stores today is epoxy coated to give color or smoothness. Not good for bacterial growth on the gravel particles in an aquarium.

Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    I took a photo today at work of this gravel. I took the photo at 8x, .......

Looks exactly what I'm using here in NC. I think I like the sharpness of the silica sand and has many befits in my opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone in the US ever tried to grow cephalous outside? If so I would love to know how you implemented growing them outside. I have had some out in the spring and summer months but always chickened out and brought them back indoors.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about it recently as well. It is not the outside conditions that I am worried about it's the human curiosity that I am sure will affect the plants adversely.
    I do have a recently rooted pitcher I could try and plant in the bog. In my experience the younger ceph growth adapts really well to temperature/humidity light changes. I can only hope it would do similarly well during drastic changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hummers giant baby growing outside on my shaded porch.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast