Informational! Informational!:  9
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus consolidated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats really cool that you got to live in the same habitat as these plants, but unfortunate that you never got to see one. What you said at the end "... [they] really seem like little individuals and have a unique "personality" about them" I totally agree. My mom always says that her favorite plant is the Cephalotus for the same reason. They're kinda cute little monsters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting all of this together!! It's great for me as a non-Ceph owner, since I plan to get one sometime this spring and will read everything I can beforehand. This thread makes that really convenient.

I personally would love to see someone do soil analyses of the native soil across Cephalotus' range.

Any chance this could be developed into a sticky?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macca - Thank for you sharing this information! First hand experience is exactly what I was searching to find. I'm glad you stopped by to share your story, as bittersweet as it was. I wish you could have seen them in the wild. Maybe life will have you in that direction soon and you will be able to fulfill your dream!

Lots of sand and soil stained black with some organic matter. I can't help but wonder what the matter might be....

Theplantman - thanks for your kind words. That was my goal and I'm glad you found use out of the thread.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While working on my Emu Point Army I figured someone might find this useful.

Here is something I think a lot of the newer people don't realize. When I have a leaf pull fail for whatever reason I try to reuse the pot by just planting a new leaf of the same clone slightly off where the old leaf was and here is the reason I do that.

This particular pot was overgrown with moss so I tend to remove the top 1/4" of medium and replace it with fresh medium. Here is the view from what the top of the pot looked like, nice dead failed leaf pull. Without the mess of moss I would have just replanted a second leaf pull of the same clone and no harm done.

DSC_0054 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

When I have this moss cap I always do a root check just to be sure. Yep its a very tiny Ceph.

DSC_0053 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I've had a lot of Ceph leaves completely decay to the point you could not even tell there was ever a leaf in the pot and ended up with a plantlet weeks or even months later. So now if the medium is still good I just replace a new leaf of the same clone and I know I'm not throwing away a Ceph with the medium.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled on a dead leaf this morning figuring I would throw it away and

DSC_0059 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

For size reference this was shot on a piece of wide rule paper, those blue lines should look familiar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information RSS! thanks for sharing.

I am also running alittle test thats similar. I repotted one of my cephs and ripped off some of the thin roots in the process. I put them in a shallow dish to see if anything sprouts. Ill report back here. I have has success with thick roots taking, but not the thin ones.....yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another link for "Other" (I finally found it)

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...af_O4U6WnZU0yg

While there checkout the links at the bottom of the page :>}
    Last edited by afrodisa; 01-31-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    What do you do when you see an endangered animal that eats only endangered plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ssssssss...... I just threw out a pot FULL of dead leaf cuttings. They were nice clones, too.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast