Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus consolidated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just click the link below the picture. (another page so here)
    Special ceramic pots for Cephalotus | International Carnivorous Plant Society
    Last edited by axel; 02-29-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had alot of questions about bagging divisions lately so I thought I'd show how I handle my divisions.

I find this works much better than bagging them. I can start to lift a corner a little every week so long as the pitchers look good.

DSC_0358
    by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Also, something to keep and eye out for this time of year!

DSC_0288

DSC_0289

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I've had alot of questions about bagging divisions lately so I thought I'd show how I handle my divisions.

I find this works much better than bagging them. I can start to lift a corner a little every week so long as the pitchers look good.

DSC_0358

Also, something to keep and eye out for this time of year!

DSC_0288

DSC_0289
    What size are those clear pots you got your cephs sitting in?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6" x 6" X 7" tall, I generally don't use pots that big but this cutting will become my "mother" plant of that clone.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably a silly question, but knowing Ceph's sensitivity to disturbances of the surrounding soil, how do you guys take the divisions off of the mother plant so that it is not very stressed? There is no avoiding unearthing the plant, right? Or do you strictly take pullings?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    This is probably a silly question, but knowing Ceph's sensitivity to disturbances of the surrounding soil, how do you guys take the divisions off of the mother plant so that it is not very stressed? There is no avoiding unearthing the plant, right? Or do you strictly take pullings?
    I yank mine out of the pots quite often. I haven't found plants to be extremely sensitive to root disturbance. what I do watch for is the small hair roots. keep as many of those intact and you will be fine. also only work with healthy plants. I get quite brutal with divisions.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Ceph experts, I might have messed up while dividing and re-potting my 4yr old Cephalotus. Currently the plant is not producing any pitchers, and the existing ones are sitting sadly with drooping lids and are slowly shriveling up (at least one already did).

The starter plant was transplanted into a new pot after the daughter plants were removed (about a month ago). The pot is filled with (bottom to top):
    1. 3/4" of hydrotone pebbles so that roots are not sitting in the water (it should whisk water up into the soil though)
    2. Porous grass shield material to prevent soil washout, it does get wet and does let water through.
    3. 1/2" layer of turface - no idea why, old pot had it too.
    4. About 5” of soil.

The rhizome/stem was poking about 1/2" above soil level. Sand was added on top to cover the surface and most of the rhizome/stem. It now sits in about - ” of water, in high humidity and constant gentle airflow. All of the lids are still drooping even when I add water to the pitchers. It is top watered often as well. The soil mix is very draining and has peat, turface, sand, small orchid bark and horticultural charcoal.
    Is it stress from re-potting or not enough moisture? Am I freaking out too early? I am concerned that too much of rhizome was above the soil level.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely divide Cephs, I get enough leaves for all my needs + all the giveaways I can do and still end up with dead/decaying leaves year after year. Right now I easily have a hundred leaves and no time to ship/plant/care for them. I really wish we had a CP society around here but nothing.

Dear Ceph experts, I might have messed up while dividing and re-potting my 4yr old Cephalotus. Currently the plant is not producing any pitchers, and the existing ones are sitting sadly with drooping lids and are slowly shriveling up (at least one already did).

The starter plant was transplanted into a new pot after the daughter plants were removed (about a month ago). The pot is filled with (bottom to top):
    1. 3/4" of hydrotone pebbles so that roots are not sitting in the water (it should whisk water up into the soil though)
    2. Porous grass shield material to prevent soil washout, it does get wet and does let water through.
    3. 1/2" layer of turface - no idea why, old pot had it too.
    4. About 5 of soil.

The rhizome/stem was poking about 1/2" above soil level. Sand was added on top to cover the surface and most of the rhizome/stem. It now sits in about - of water, in high humidity and constant gentle airflow. All of the lids are still drooping even when I add water to the pitchers. It is top watered often as well. The soil mix is very draining and has peat, turface, sand, small orchid bark and horticultural charcoal.
    Is it stress from re-potting or not enough moisture? Am I freaking out too early? I am concerned that too much of rhizome was above the soil level.
    A photo would help alot. I would remove some of the straight sand from directly around the poking out part and add in something to help retain moisture. Maybe 1/3rd peat 2/3 sand. The combo of the dryer than normal rhizome + distubance of roots is likely the cause. Just need to nurse it back to health.

Some live sphagnum about 1" right around the base of the plant can do wonders for helping a stressed plant. This is what I would do if I really wanted to save a plant.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    define very well draining. I have over done this before in the past and had a plant that limped along. I had a small amount of peat in the mix and it produced a very weak plant.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on taking a terrarium down and found something really odd. The soil has fallen over the years to create this cavern area in the back corner of the tank but there is NO light getting back there, none at all.

DSC_0359 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast