What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli experiment

catrus

Sheila
I moved this one to a room with an extra nighttime air conditioner a few months ago. It has a light but it is not left on as much as the other.
1186740_10200512444629632_1949154980_n.jpg

and I left this one in an aquarium with much more light but no drop in temp. at night.
1098533_10200512443989616_2025041969_n.jpg

Both are setting on a window sill and have artificial light.
So, the one with less light and a drop in temp. at night has more color and looks more natural.
The other has grown more and the pitchers are larger but is spindly looking and has no color.
So, my question is this - Does having a drop in temperature at night cause the red coloration?

The green things are hydroponic hydrating beads. That was another experiment and it works!

I love a good experiment!

In winter, if you have a good night time drop, this will bring you a good red color on the pitchers. In my winter setup, i provide a 8-12C to my helis at night.
You will end with a strong deep red coloration like this:

heliamphora minor par dals009, sur Flickr

More light=more heat=big and green.
Less light=less heat=small and red.
More light+less heat=big and red.

I love math. Don't you?

Thanks, all. I do love that math. But not algebra. :nono:

And, I moved the other one to the air conditioner.

Oh, and another question. Don't you think there are two plants in both pots? I would love to separate them and offer them on the forum but I don't want to disturb their growth in any way. I got both of them from generous people on here and I would love to pay it forward. Just not sure how to do it.

helis love to clump, id leave em be. plus they are such small plants

I've been trying to find those balls. Do you have a link? Are they inert?

Jcal, I got them at the Dollar Tree. They are called "Folding Vase with Designer Hydrating Beads". Expands 500x
Walmart sells Orbeez in the toy section. They are much smaller. I also found a package of orange ones labeled "Water Beads" by FloraCraft at Walmart. Expands 100x

I have a friend who sells polymers that look like this: I can give you her contact info if you like.
399302_10151647137397795_291549307_n.jpg

I have thought about putting these in my Nepenthes pots when I go out of town.

They are inert.

Jcal, I got them at the Dollar Tree. They are called "Folding Vase with Designer Hydrating Beads". Expands 500x
Walmart sells Orbeez in the toy section. They are much smaller. I also found a package of orange ones labeled "Water Beads" by FloraCraft at Walmart. Expands 100x

I have a friend who sells polymers that look like this: I can give you her contact info if you like.
399302_10151647137397795_291549307_n.jpg

I have thought about putting these in my Nepenthes pots when I go out of town.

They are inert.

Im looking for theses beads, can you PM me your friend info ? Thanks :)

Back