Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora minor aonda giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heliamphora minor aonda giant

Hello again

I was pretty sure that plant was a myth... Until a friend in france show me his growlist. He show me some pictures of the plant, and its like a normal minor but the pitchers end like a trompet, very wide, almost ridiculous, and red under good light like other helis. So, of course, i bought one from him and the plant are on the way to my home.

Someone else grow that specie(cultivar?) ?
    Last edited by Maiden; 04-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here some pictures from internet.

amazing plant

Heli aonda giant par dals009, sur Flickr

Maiden

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intriguing! I am yet to try Heliamphora, but their variety is crazy. This is just another testament to that.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree

For me, heliamphora is one of the mosts beautiful and mysterious cps .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How large are these leaves, since H. minor can produce pitchers of 15 centimeters (6") or more?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am skeptical. Especially if that clone has been in cultivation for a while. Many of the older clones of minor, heterodoxa, and nutans I personally suspect to be introgressed hybrids. Also consider that heliamphora taxonomy was murky at best.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Many of the older clones of minor, heterodoxa, and nutans I personally suspect to be introgressed hybrids. Also consider that heliamphora taxonomy was murky at best.
    You mean, if i grow a minor clone for many years, the morphologic caracteristics will be faded or will change ?

And what is murky ? I cannot find it in the translator. You mean a big range of shapes variation?

Anyway, its a nice little plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, the morphological characteristics will remain the same. However regard the past history of heliamphora. The past 10 years have seen the rise of many new species and formal descriptions of past plants. Former heterodoxa have been given new names such as glabra, sarracenioides, purpurescens, collina etc. up until then, most plants in cultivation consisted of h. minor, h. nutans, and h. heterodoxa, which leads me to the word murky: meaning clouded, enigmatic, undefined. Asexual propagation took forever because tc protocol either wasn't established or poor, seed was the easiest way to propagate heliamphora. The unique nature of the flowers makes it impossible to pollinate the same flower with the same pollen and crossing (making hybrids) came naturally. These hybrids would be crossed with others or introgressed yielded unique characteristics such as smaller size. By default, since all heliamphora look the same and taxonomic guides were inconsistent, people tried to label their plants as best as possible. This most likely gave birth to the giant minor your friend has. Nutans giant was recently revealed to be glabra x nutans, and I suspect minor 'vigorous' is an introgressed hybrid of nutans, heterodoxa, and minor, having minor's size, heterodoxa's robustness, and nutans' nectar spoons. The older clones would be in reference to plants that are or are decendents of plants some 40 odd years ago, where as the newest clones would have came from wistuba, or a fresh new source with no relation to the original cultivated plants some 40 odd years ago. Again I am drawing conclusions based on my personal observations. Feel free to disprove.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast