Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mealys or something else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mealys or something else?

I guess I should have expected it sooner or later, but I think I have a problem. I have these white patches on my S. leucophylla. I'm thinking they might be mealys, but I'm honestly not sure. I don't see any around the rhizome, and these spots aren't like anything I've seen online. These spots are just on the pitchers. In playing with my new camera, I've gotten these pictures.

Are these mealys? I wouldn't be too surprised if they were. I found mealys on a phal of mine that I didn't immediately repot when I bought it from Lowes (learned my lesson). However, this orchid is inside and upstairs and my plants are outside on the back porch. I've also noticed a lot of ants around my plants recently. I didn't think they were a problem, but I read that they can cultivate mealys. So. What do I have? How should I treat it?
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also be interested in the answer to your question because my S. Leucophylla has the same white patches.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, Elizabeth, mealy bugs can leave white patches like that, but I have always seen the mealy bugs with the white patch... or at least some place on the plant. Are there any dead leaf bases still attached to the rhizome? Those can harbor the critters and hide them well. I guess I am suggesting a closer examination if possible.

I have never had spider mites, but can't they leave webby residue? They are also mich harder to see. Then again, I believe their damage is usually readily obvious, so I do not know if they are a real concern or not.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Elizabeth
    I agree with Corey, there is normally more cotton like white 'stuff' if they are mealy bugs, plus normally you can see them on the plant too, a bit like white greenfly, they seldom move off a plant. I would suggest that that is the webbing of a spider, have a good look round to make sure its not red spider mite.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End-of-season Mildew. S. leucophylla and its hybrids tend to do this in August, especially in circumstances where air movement may not be ideal, or if the plants are not regularly rinsed by rain. Its not as big deal, and its not something that requires intervention. And its not insects.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a perfectly normal Leuco to me- they are known to be a "splotchy" variety ranging from the white you see to even purple or red. Based on my own sarracenia I would say this is cause by light intensity. My Dixie Lace got much more colorful when June-August hit.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Whimgrinder =)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whimgrinder for the win! He makes a lot of sense.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast