What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old, improperly stored Sarracenia seeds

I gave the last of my CPs to one of the NASC folks a couple years ago and it's been a long time since I posted here, but I'm drawn back because my wife found an envelope of S. rubra 'Red Dip Lip' x self seeds. Unfortunately, the envelope was dated 2010 and I didn't misplace it in the fridge - she found the envelope mixed in with some files in a cabinet. We rarely use our air conditioner and those seeds were exposed to 2+ summers of warm temperatures & high humidity. The climate isn't so good for seed viability the rest of the year either.

How long might sarracenia seeds remain viable when stored like this and do older seeds take longer to germinate? I searched the forum and did a little Googling, but didn't find an answer. I stratified the seed for 4+ weeks earlier this summer and planted them on LFS like I used to but, nearly 2 months after planting, there's still no sign of life. Best as I can recall, I used to see all the seedlings within a few weeks. The pot is just sitting in a container of rainwater on the front step and it'll be no problem to keep this experiment going well into October. However, I'm beginning to think about what spaces are available indoors for plants this coming winter and can planted Sarracenia seeds wait months before germinating?

If they havent germinated in 2 months I wouldnt have much hope in actually getting any to germinate. 2 years is a long time for sarr seeds to be sitting and not refrigerated. You could keep them longer and see if any germinate but 2 months seems more than long enough imo.

Back