What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. follicularis "vigorous" clone.

This is my first Cephalotus, acquired from the late Dennis Hastings in June 2011:
20131008-163452.jpg

Vigorous....yes!
Did you get this clone from Dennis also? Post pics of yours here!

Last edited:
wow really nice! Wouldn't mind trying that clone one day.

whoa very nice Paul!!! that's the clumpiest of clumpy cephs I've seen thus far, do you have a pic of when you first got it?

whoa very nice Paul!!! that's the clumpiest of clumpy cephs I've seen thus far, do you have a pic of when you first got it?

Thanks. This is a photo of this plant a few days after I received it, from June 20, 2011, in its two inch pot:
20131008-195224.jpg

That is very nice indeed! Great specimen Paul.
I wonder where Dennis obtained this plant? I would love to know the origin. I have a "vigorous" from Stephen Morley. It's still small but I will add a picture shortly.

Here is the reply I got from Dennis back in 2010

"The “vigorous” plant comes from Gary Kong of Los Angeles who got it from Charles Brewer who is the person that took over propagating Hummer’s Giants from John Hummer.
This plant was described to Gary as being a clone that tended to be a faster and more robust grower that the other regular Cephalotus he had seen. From the adult plants I have,
I would agree. The pitchers at least for me max out at about 2”."

More info from his website, I would assume the website will just drop off one day so it might be a good idea to copy any useful information somewhere else onto the web.

"Vigorous

I have isolated this particular plant separate from the typical Cephalotus because of its exceptional traits, which I feel are different enough from the typical plants to warrant the special attention.

Please note, these are my personal observations and in no way have any scientific basis other than visual comparison of a limited pool of regular (typical) Cephalotus. There are so many variables in growing these plants that your experience with the plant may be entirely different from mine.

Having said that, I have found these “vigorous” clones to be faster growing than the typical forms with pitchers around 2.25” and have more of the course texture like that of a hummer’s giant but not as large.

My original plant came from a grower in the Los Angeles area. He was the first person I had heard, use the term “vigorous” to describe the clone. He indicated he had received his plant from Charles Brewer."

His website http://thecephalotus.info/index.html

Here is the reply I got from Dennis back in 2010

"The “vigorous” plant comes from Gary Kong of Los Angeles who got it from Charles Brewer who is the person that took over propagating Hummer’s Giants from John Hummer.
This plant was described to Gary as being a clone that tended to be a faster and more robust grower that the other regular Cephalotus he had seen. From the adult plants I have,
I would agree. The pitchers at least for me max out at about 2”."

Thank you for that, RSS.
Although I am a relative novice with the genus, I do have several plants that I've been growing for 2+ years! and I can definitely say that the "vigorous" clone from Dennis has outgrown all the others in volume, and at twice the rate.

Last edited:
Very useful information RSS! Thank you for sharing the information and answering my question. I've still yet to upload a pic but I will when I get back to my computer. The clone I have grows noticeably faster than my other plants. I wouldn't mind hunting down this clone.

I love it! I hope my grow half as fast. :hail:

Awsome looking Ceph! I think I need a vigorous clone. Mine is growing so painfully slow:blush:

Back