User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plants that do not need a terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds cool. what is a good species that is hardy and grows medium-large? my window sill has the dimensions of 46" wide x 36" tall x 23" deep. is there a good window sill species out there for me that could fill in that windowsill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I ended up going with Nepenthes maxima...
    I hope it does well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newman: a better question might be "Which carnivorous plants NEED high humidity?" The fact is, MOST carnivorous plants can be adapted to low humidity. It is an old viewpoint that CP's need high humidity in a terrarium or greenhouse environment, but that is simply not the case. I have grown most of my Cp's in low household humidity for several years with good results. Plants may need a some time to adjust to low humidity if they have been grown in a high humidity environment, but they will adjust.

Some plants that may do best with higher humidity are many of the lowland Nepenthes species (though not all of them) , and Heliamphora. Though, as mentioned by others, these may be adapted to low humidity as well.

I have an N. bicalcarata, a species commonly cited as needing high humidity, that adjusted to about 40% humidity and eventually pitchered well in these conditions. I have since increased the humidity for this plant and my other lowland nepenthes to promote more vigorous growth and bigger pitchers, but it just goes to show humidity is not always that important.

There is variation between species of course, but almost everything else can do fine in household humidity. When growing most Cp's, think less about humidity and more about light, water, and temperature requirements.
    Last edited by richjam1986; 12-30-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    So I ended up going with Nepenthes maxima...
    I hope it does well!
    Good choice. Grows fairly quickly, has large and attractive pitchers, and is tolerant of a wide variety of conditions. Nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a small cutting i got from a member on here and it is starting to produce a pitcher bud. i hope it makes a full pitcher at some point!
    I tried doing everything i can to help up the humidity for it. i have it sitting on pebbles in a container with a small amount of water and i mist it once a day or so with distilled water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    It's a small cutting i got from a member on here and it is starting to produce a pitcher bud. i hope it makes a full pitcher at some point!
    I tried doing everything i can to help up the humidity for it. i have it sitting on pebbles in a container with a small amount of water and i mist it once a day or so with distilled water.
    I guess you didn't read my comment about humidity... Oh well, trouble with it if you wish Old habits die hard.
    Best of luck with the N. maxima!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo, Nepenthes maxima is a good choice. A gorgeous plant.

Personally, my first carnivorous plant was a Cape Sundew and a mystery Nepenthes from Walgreens -- likely Nepenthes Ventricosa. I grew them on a windowsill for a long while, and migrated to a simple wire shelf with lights on top after a time.

Don't forget to take photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venus Fly Traps and Sarracenia should *not* be grown in a terrarium..ever.
    reasons why: http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast