User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only Moderately Temperate Sarrs: Your Thoughts

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only Moderately Temperate Sarrs: Your Thoughts

So this is my first year--and first will be first winter--growing Sarracenia indigenous to the extreme southern portion of the genus's range. The plants I am thinking of in particular are of course S. psittacina, a few of its related hybrids, and S. rosea in addition to S. purpurea ssp. venosa. I have had warmer growing Sarracenia in the past (S. flava, etc.) and successfully overwintered them in small unheated greenhouse alongside S. purpurea ssp. purpurea and VFTs (I live in zone 6b, namely south-eastern Missouri near Arkansas). These truly warmer growing plants have me a bit stymied, however. Where should I overwinter these plants?

And thus my question for you: given the option, would you either

a) overwinter these potted plants alongside the other more temperate growing Sarracenia in an unheated greenhouse?

b) keep these plants in a southern windowsill in doors (my windows are old and not well-insulated, i.e. cool)?

c) not move the plants leaving them exposed to the elements all winter?

I doubt anyone will select option C, but I thought I would include to be equal opportunity.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also mention while I am at it that I will be overwintering Darlingtonia (adult plants and seedlings) for the first time this year. I figure they will be fine in the greenhouse with the majority of the Sarracenia, though.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unheated greenhouse method should work fine for psitticina and p.p.venosa but I can't speak for rosea. I grow all my Sarracenia outside in bogs all year round and the only plants to ever succumb during winter are S.rosea and the antho-free variety of S.rubra jonesii. I've tried these plants repeatedly with the same results. They just can't take the deep freezes we get up here. Results may be different though if the plants are buffered from the harshest elements in a greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I had heard psittacina could be freeze vulnerable. I greatly value your opinion and experience; thanks for your insight!

What is your climate zone in Boston? 7? Or is it considered something different thanks to the proximity to the ocean?
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually one town north of Boston and we're in 5a-6b depending on the year. Boston proper stays a bit warmer because it's right on the water. Last year a couple nights got down to -11 making it 5a. The psitticina, minor and a few forms of leucophylla (especially antho-free forms) don't love our winters but they pull through. I've never mulched my bogs before but I will this year. Those few subzero nights last year coupled with absolutely no snow cover did in all my vft's and any Sarracenia I put in late in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, good to know.

I guess I have a related question then: would the S. psittacina and related hybrids survive for an extended period if they lived on the window sill each winter? It might be sappy, but I miss my plants in the winter, and it would be cool to have some of them in the house for viewing.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post

a) overwinter these potted plants alongside the other more temperate growing Sarracenia in an unheated greenhouse?
    That's probably fine..although I worry that might be *too* warm..
    If its 40 degrees and sunny outside (which is ideal for Sarr dormancy) it might be too warm inside the greenhouse.
    But if it stays reliably 35 to 50 F inside the greenhouse all winter, (but not warmer!) then its probably fine..

b) keep these plants in a southern windowsill in doors (my windows are old and not well-insulated, i.e. cool)?
    Definitely not..unless its an unheated room that stays in the 40's or 50's all winter, it will be far too warm..
    any room that is heated for human habitation in the winter will be way too warm..drafty windows probably wont help.

c) not move the plants leaving them exposed to the elements all winter?
    In your warm climate, zone 7, that would probably also be fine..
    most people in zone 7 can overwinter Sarrs fine outdoors..
    So I vote for A) or C), but defiantly not B).
    For the greenhouse, or outdoors, it all depends on which keeps the better temp..just above freezing..

With "Northern" Sarrs, they can *handle* the cold, (below freezing) but they dont *need* the cold to go dormant.
    As far as dormancy is concerned, they are just fine in the warmer winter that "southern sarrs" get..
    35 to 50 degrees F for the winter is ideal for any and all Sarrs and VFT's..
    Thats cold enough that they wont grow for the winter, and will remain truly dormant for a few months, which is what they need.

Greenhouse is probably the best..it will keep it warmer when you have cold-snaps below freezing..
    and if you hit really warm days in the winter, say 50 or above during the day, it could easily get to 70 inside the greenhouse..
    thats too warm for mid-winter..can you open vents to make sure it doesn't get too warm inside for those warm days?

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 10-26-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response, too, Scot. I have read your blog, particularly your extended post about dormancy. Good reading!

I did have a thought while perusing your reply. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that colder temps play a part in triggering dormancy for Sarracenia, but reduced light is what keeps them there. In other words, it was my understanding that a few cold nights (with the reduced photo period) began dormancy, but warm snaps during winter don't necessarily break or interrupt a plants hibernation. Instead, it is the increase in daylight hours in the spring that wake up these sleeping beauties. If this is true, then a letting plants "feel" a few cold nights in the fall would get them to sleep, and then a cooler window sill should be fine to keep them dormant.

Thoughts? I might have just made all of that up subconsciously. :S
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast