Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CP Dormancy care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Depends on the form of binata. There are some that naturally go dormant, and can survive very cold temperatures.
    I have marstons dragon and Dichotoma giant

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dichotoma is well known for surviving cold temperatures in dormancy, as it is a form from very southern Australia. Multifida is a more tropical variety, but can go dormant on occasion if temperatures go low enough, so I would assume the hybrid, Marston Dragon, would also naturally be able to take dormancy.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    The dichotoma is well known for surviving cold temperatures in dormancy, as it is a form from very southern Australia. Multifida is a more tropical variety, but can go dormant on occasion if temperatures go low enough, so I would assume the hybrid, Marston Dragon, would also naturally be able to take dormancy.
    That sounds good. I have no room for plants to come in the house so they're going to have to slug it out outside. Our winters are generally mild any way. Even during the coldest parts of the winter we usually see highs in the 40's and 50's I'm not that worried about them.

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say that even if it should be brought in the house, they might be able to ride it out in Charlotte especially if it gets too cold at night you can throw a trash bag over it at night and take it off in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to see how things play out over the next few weeks to months, but from the 2 really cold nights last week in the Charlotte area, it looks like my two young S. purpurea didn't take as well to the freeze as I had been expecting them to. At this point, it looks like my older S. rubra did better. I brought almost everything else in, with exception of some D. rotundifolia, D capillaris, and D. intermedia. This is my first year back into CPs after a good long while. I wanted to leave some of the pitchers out, but at the same time didn't wanna risk them getting too cold. A little further south in Charlotte proper would give me a couple degrees more, a little further north to the lake and I'd have a temperature stabilizing body of water. Oh, to be stuck between the two!

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My purps are actually doing swell with the weather even the seedlings. Actually they are doing the best out of all my seedlings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umop_apisdn View Post
    I'll have to see how things play out over the next few weeks to months, but from the 2 really cold nights last week in the Charlotte area, it looks like my two young S. purpurea didn't take as well to the freeze as I had been expecting them to. At this point, it looks like my older S. rubra did better. I brought almost everything else in, with exception of some D. rotundifolia, D capillaris, and D. intermedia. This is my first year back into CPs after a good long while. I wanted to leave some of the pitchers out, but at the same time didn't wanna risk them getting too cold. A little further south in Charlotte proper would give me a couple degrees more, a little further north to the lake and I'd have a temperature stabilizing body of water. Oh, to be stuck between the two!
    it might have just scared them into dormancy. My Binatas now have resting buds after that brief snow last week. Before then they still had dew. All of that changed literally over night

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123