Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP Dormancy care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP Dormancy care

Hello all this is my first dormancy with my plants and I've already had some of my sundews go dormant. My question is how much water do the plants Need during the winter? I am in Charlotte NC if that matters and the plants are grown outside. I'm growing VFTs, Sarrs, and some temperate, and tropical Dews. Mostly D. Capensis, intermedia, Binata, Filiformis, and intermedia. Thanks for all of your help. Second question..... Is it normal for Sarrs to flower in the fall? My S. Dixie Lace has an 8 in flower stalk growing

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I usually just leave about the same amount of water in that I did over the summer. If it rains, I leave the water. If I have to water, I usually just put like half the amount that I would normally. I do not really make a fuss about it. I have Sarrs, VFTs, filiformis and intermedia dews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil hokie View Post
    Honestly I usually just leave about the same amount of water in that I did over the summer. If it rains, I leave the water. If I have to water, I usually just put like half the amount that I would normally. I do not really make a fuss about it. I have Sarrs, VFTs, filiformis and intermedia dews.
    Sound good!!

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important part in my opinion is making sure you keep the plant clean of dead materials like you normally would. Clip off dead leaves, etc.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same water level should be fine, just keep an eye out for molds. Also, yes, it is somewhat common for plants to send up errant flower stalks in fall. That's the only time my oreophila has ever flowered!
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after a light snow flurry 2 nights ago all of my Dews and VFT look drab. That flower stalk is completely dropped over. I think that shocked the rest of then into dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most likely reason some of KKP's plants are flowering in the autumn is explained here:

Quote Originally Posted by KKPsi08 View Post
    Hello all this is my first dormancy with my plants
    They are probably new tissue-culture plants..
    probably growing indoors before they were purchased..

KKP, did you purchase the plants after, lets say..June?
    If so, they probably dont "know" what season it is right now..that could explain why they are flowering now..

but you live in the perfect climate for outdoor dormancy..just keep doing what you are doing!
    and they should come out of dormancy fine in the spring, and I bet a year from now they will *not* be flowering,
    because by then they will have their seasonal clocks set properly..

None of this is a problem! or anything to worry about..
    it's just a quirk of the plants being relatively new to the world..

Scot

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I used a relatively dense mix of peat and fine grade sand which held on to moisture better than the mix of peat and perlite I currently use. Because of this, I was worried about keeping my plants too wet for the winter, so I cut back on water a ton. In fact, my Judith Hindle, purpurea ssp. purpurea, flava var. flava, and rubra ssp. rubra didn't sit in water and were only top drenched three or four times all winter. I always made sure the media was moist at least just under the surface, though.

I figure I will follow a similar approach this year. If my mix dries out too quickly, though, I figure I will experiment with my pots sitting in a small amount of water.

It might help to know that I live in zone 6b in Southeast Missouri: a bit colder in the winter than you.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast