What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Sarracenia

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
How can I tell if my Sarracenia are dead? I think they're in dormancy right now, but they dried out over the summer with watering only once every few weeks. A few parts were still green and the peat they were in was somewhat moist. The roots were in tact and looked well. I really didn't want them in pots so I just put them into a bed of live Sphagnum (like 4-6 square feet, 3-4" deep in some places) and I'm hoping they'll come back next spring... Is there a way to tell by looking at the roots or the (I forget the word) bulb?

Thanks. :)

If the roots never dried out they are probably ok. You can peel back one or two of the pitcher stems at the rhizome. If the exposed tissue is white-ish they are probably ok. If the rhizomes are fairly large (as thick or thicker than one of your fingers) you can give it a squeeze. If it is rock hard - tot. If it is firm and gives a little like a fresh carrot or ginger root than it is probably ok. If it is mushy - krank or tot.

"they dried out over the summer with watering only once every few weeks."

Why not give them away before you find a way to kill them? You obviously don't care about them.

Yeah, watering them once every few weeks over the hottest months of the year doesn't seem like a recipe for a healthy/living plant, especially since sarrs live in bogs and often experience frequent rainstorms over the summer.. I'd say keep them pretty moist, more so than you usually would, and see if any growth is noticed ie noncarnivorous winter leaves. And what NaN said. If the plants go brown and wither away completely, chances are the plant is toast, since you definitely should still be seeing some green toward the base of the plant and within the smaller, noncarnivorous leaves that are produced. Best of luck and hopefully they will pull through!

"they dried out over the summer with watering only once every few weeks."

Why not give them away before you find a way to kill them? You obviously don't care about them.

Agreed.

If they are outside in only 3-4" of sphagnum, if you have cold winters wherever in the world you are, that could well kill them off if they are not Purps, what sort are they?. If they are going dormant, pot them in a pot appropriate to their size, keep them moist and cool and see if anything comes back in spring.
Cheers
steve

Back