Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I kill my Ceph?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I water from the top, with no regard to how much water splashes around the crown, etc.
    I water as often as 3X a week during warm weather, or as little as once every 2 weeks in the dead of winter.
    I do NOT let plants sit in water; all pots drain freely from the bottom.
    My soil mix is almost 50% coarse silica sand (recycled sand from an irrigation sand filter system, washed) and it drains very rapidly: most of the water poured into the top of the pot drains out the bottom within 30 seconds.
    My Cephalotus are sited on the south exposure wall of my Nepenthes greenhouse, year round: they received unfiltered, full sun (when there IS sun!0 year round.
    All of my Cephalotus are planted in pale colored ceramic (glazed) pots, which prevent the pots and soil volume from warming significantly from sunlight absorption.
    Air flow around the plants is 24/7, and gentle - but omnipresent.

I have yet to lose a plant in 2.5 years of working with them. For me, they are effortless plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an impressive record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    That's an impressive record.
    My "formula" is based entirely on the sum of recommendations made to me by experienced growers, both in private conversation and by reading published web info. There's plenty of that available; look under the "cultivation" tab) I simply assessed the data I gathered, extrapolated the most common approaches to materials and methods, and implemented them. Basically, I just followed a recipe, with zero experimentation to determine limitations and "failure points". There's enough data out there to extract a good recipe - the rest is just assembling your materials and applying that recipe. Of course, there are reasons to tweak some of the parameters to account for your climate/grow conditions, but the essentials remain the same.

Regarding your own experience, I would say that the combo of stagnant water + no air movement is an oft-fatal mix, and to be avoided. YMMV of course, but its something I wouldn't do.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 01-01-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants have been sitting in "stagnant" water for years, the oldest has had this treatment for 31 years. When do you think it will become fatal?
    Last edited by fredg; 01-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to throw the same stick in the works - my ceph sit outside in about 1cm of water perpetually and it seems to be alright (aside from the damn birds...)

EDIT: And it gets rained on all winter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whimgrinder, that is an incredibly useful website. Thanks!

Huh, well, after reading all this, I don't know what happened, except that it may have had too much water for the size pot it was in. I didn't have the plant locked in a terrarium, so there should have been some air movement. I guess I'll try again, if my plant does not recover, using different conditions (and soil) when I get a larger grow space/reconfigure the one I have.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown Cephs inside in mostly-closed tanks, under lights (in & outside tanks), on windowsills and outside in the summer. They grow well in all of these conditions (but generally dislike the hot NJ summers outside & sometimes need time & TLC to adapt to change). Due to the intense heat (& occasional days of rain), the outside plants sometimes sit in water. All of my other plants get top-watered & allowed to get at least partially dry before watering again. IME, they do not grow as robustly & are more susceptible to 'bad things' when kept in very wet conditions inside. In general, they are little weeds - quite adaptable to different environmental conditions and assorted media.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the wonders of pride and vanity. Other than the basics that plants need light, water and a temperature range there are few absolutes. If there were only one way to grow certain plants then everybody would be growing them that way. As soon as somebody says there is only one way to grow certain plants somebody will prove them wrong. When it comes to watering practices and soil mixes there is probably more superstition than science. Everybody has their favorites.

I've often quoted Jerry Addington whose humility is refreshing (emphasis mine):
    After a long career in horticulture one thing is clear to us that may surprise some newbies - starting out it seems all one has to do is learn the best way to grow a certain plant and follow that recipe to success. Gradually one discovers that there are almost as many "best" ways as there are sucessful growers. Some practices work great for one person and not another. Climate can be a big factor and so is personality.

Local "cultures" of cultivation practices evolve as enthusiasts share information. "Truth" we hold self evident may be contigent on factors specific to local conditions. We keep our fly traps and sarracenias sitting in water constantly year round - a practice excellent cultivators in the southeast have informed us would rot out plants in their climate. We treat cephalotus the same way - works for us. Others strongly dissagree. Our best cultural advice is to consult many sources and find your own way.

Thank you, Jerry Addington
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast