What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Ceph Flower

12247359406_e7c7abb718_c.jpg

This ceph flower began around Christmas which I think is a wee bit out of sync :crazy:

That's awesome! Must really like your conditions. How do you grow it?

Sweet! Are you putting this guy into dormancy? I think I should with mine...it might be a little late.

I received this plant June 2013, and use it as my test plant for growing conditions. It has always been given UHL conditions (high:68F/ low: 50), mild flourescent lighting, and ambient humidity. The light cycle is perpetually set at 16ON/8OFF, which I have never altered. The other cephs alongside this one are all mainly in winter mode, barring a few who continue to defiantly pitcher.

12253505156_8839426a75_c.jpg

If it's about to flower, then it's too late to try to force "dormancy" (a gray term as far as Cephalotus is concerned, since a true dormancy isn't something the genus does).

Nice Jen. Looks too small to flower. Guess size doesn't matter.

That's an enviable achievement!

Hey jen :)

I think this little ceph want to thankyou for your greenthumbs :)

Last edited:
Nice Jen. Looks too small to flower. Guess size doesn't matter.

Strange indeed. This is a one year old leaf pulling. Currently ready and waiting with my paintbrush. :-O

Great job, Pokie! Are you growing this plant under lights?

Great job, Pokie! Are you growing this plant under lights?

Yes, this cephalotus is grown under flourescent lighting and given ultra highland temperatures. The incubator is a controlled environment with a constant 16ON/8OFF lighting cycle. I have never altered the lighting. As mentioned by other growers, cephalotus like large, deep pots. In my experience, repotted cephalotus always go through a growth spurt.

Good job, Jen; mine are currently sulking until Spring . . .

We have lift off!! :boogie:

13075226314_33a910730c_c.jpg

All hail Pokie, the pink and white demonically-possessed chipmunk, squirrel; or chupacabra?

Perhaps I should observe her nocturnal activities tonight, as there may well be exsanguinated billy goats buried in my backyard. And reflecting on this matter, I am slightly concerned that she has not been properly nourished - goats being a local rarity - and when she shall turn to larger prey, say a nice sleeping young maiden.

looking good. I wish I could see a flower stalk on one of my plants. Ill just live through you!

Back