What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting sarr seedlings

Hi! How old/big sarracenia seedlings have to be so they can be repotted? Mine are about 1-2 months old and the biggest ones are making their 5th pitcher. I have read that repotting should be done within 1-2 months after germination or betweed 3-5 true leaves.

One problem is that some of the seedlings have so little sphagnum media (1,5cm-2cm) below them. That makes me a bit afraid how their root system will develop in so shallow container :blush:

I have bought a seedling tray that contains sixty 1,5cm x 1,5cm holes. I have planned to repot my seedling to that.

Thanks if anyone can help me.

Sarra seedlings are pretty tough. I've repotted many seedlings that were just a few months old matching the description you have given and even seedling with as few a two to three pitchers. If you are worried just gather the moss around the seedlings and their roots, and place it in the new pot/media. This will put the least amount of stress on them. Good luck. I spent a couple hours this morning reporting seedlings.

Thanks a lot! :) Do you prefer sphagnum or peat as a seedling media?

I never have a problem transplanting Sarrs. I keep them well-watered for 1-2 weeks after transplanting. I generally prefer 3-5 leaves because they (1) have more than one single root usually and (2) the roots seem slightly less fragile, so I can cram them in new media without worrying about it. If one root breaks, the plant'll still survive. I use peat/sand at 1:1, have also used peat:verm at 1:1, and Peat:Turface at 1:1. They grow fine in almost anything peaty.

If you transplant during dormancy you'll have 0 problems whatsoever. It sometimes can be difficult to pull them apart if the seedlings are too big/sown too close but other than that my losses have always been few and far between, even in the middle of summer.

One of my standard strategies is always to fertilize at quarter to eighth-strength right after transplanting so that the plants have all the raw materials they need to form new root hairs. This rate (~1/4 to 1/8 tsp per gallon of any liquid feed) is wayyy below what you would need to burn Sarrs and is completely safe. One of the best ways to avoid transplant shock.

Here's what I consider ideal (pic from ICPS):
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/GrowingGuides/Images/SarSeedling.jpg

I dont have sand at the moment but a bag of perlite. This photo is one week old but it shows how they have grown. I have 85 of them.

kaikkilapset.png

Like everyones said, sars seedling can be repotted at almost anytime.

Back