What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first time growing Cephalotus from seed

last year was the first time i have managed to get a Cephalotus to flower,i used a small paint brush to improve pollination , in early October last year the seeds were sown on a mix of sand and peat and left on a chilly windowsill for a couple of months,then i covered the top of the container they were sown in with clingfilm to keep humidity high ,i then placed one of the two containers under flo lights and left one on the window sill.First to show any germination was the container under lights. not the best pic i know ,but these little guys are tiny and even if it was in focus it still looks like a little snot:D not much of a thread at the moment but with a bit of luck i hope it will be an ongoing saga,any advice as always is welcome

No stratification? I have ceph seeds in the fridg, you think its a bad thing?

i have heard mixed reports ,so i suppose i took the easy option,i will have to see how many pop up ,some people use the fridge method,but lots don't and are still happy with the results.I think there are many methods,fresher the better is the advice i went with

I see

My seeds are from Stephen Morley, eden black x eden black, i hope germination rate will be good !

good luck with your seeds Maiden,i have seen a very nice fast growing clone come from eden black x eden black,fingers crossed you can get something similar,buy the way Stephen Morley's advice on sowing ceph seeds was to sow fresh and to leave in a frost free greenhouse over winter, and when temps and photo period increase naturally germination should begin

Maiden, your seeds you'll have been alright on your unheated windowsill.
If they are in the fridge, be sure you'll give them a light variation too when you get them out.

good luck with your seeds Maiden,i have seen a very nice fast growing clone come from eden black x eden black,fingers crossed you can get something similar,buy the way Stephen Morley's advice on sowing ceph seeds was to sow fresh and to leave in a frost free greenhouse over winter, and when temps and photo period increase naturally germination should begin

In fact, its not the first time i grow stephen's seeds, i have a big seedling with very black pitchers, but the germination rate is quite low. So this time i try the fridg stratification method.

i wish you luck Maiden and look forward to hearing your results,and maybe another ICPS article when you get your method perfected;)if you like post a pic of the dark pitcher plant here ,i would like to see:pics:

In fact, its not the first time i grow stephen's seeds, i have a big seedling with very black pitchers, but the germination rate is quite low. So this time i try the fridg stratification method.

I have used the ninety day fridge stratification for years; and I have consistently gotten good results -- by a third or more, in terms of germination, over simply planting seed . . .

i kind of took the middle option and left them on a cool window sill for a couple of months,i shall try the fridge method next time.To be honest i had so many seeds i think a poorer germination rate will not bother me too much ,but great to have your input BB,i know a lot of the seeds you germinate are rare and you can't afford poor germination.Agreed a third more is seriously substantial

Last edited:
that looks very promising indeed,how old is that plant Maiden

i kind of took the middle option and left them on a cool window sill for a couple of months,i shall try the fridge method next time.

Another useful method, is the use of 250-350 ppm gibberellic acid, for twenty four hours, to ensure germination; and to get those "gears" moving . . .

Ok,thanks for the advice .what does that stuff actually do,does it kinda soften the outer seed case

Afternoon All,

I also have some of Stephen's EBxEB seeds. I will try the cold greenhouse with at least some of them.

I have a few pots of other Ceph seeds that went straight into a warm propagator so I will split these new ones between warmth and a cold start.

Cheers
Steve

good luck with your seeds Steve,feel free to share your results:-D

little update ,the first pitchers are appearing

Well it's been about a year since I first saw germination . About 20 seedlings germinated but I had a few setbacks. The sand and peat mix turned into concrete and I also accidentally let them dry out. I still have 8 survivors and have transplanted them into a perlite and peat mix. Well I hope to do better next time, and will most likely make a completely new set of mistakes but hey
20150213_165741_zps1ztwnvbi.jpg
[/URL:-D

Last edited:
Well, at least your survivors look great:).

Back