Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: first time growing Cephalotus from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first time growing Cephalotus from seed

last year was the first time i have managed to get a Cephalotus to flower,i used a small paint brush to improve pollination , in early October last year the seeds were sown on a mix of sand and peat and left on a chilly windowsill for a couple of months,then i covered the top of the container they were sown in with clingfilm to keep humidity high ,i then placed one of the two containers under flo lights and left one on the window sill.First to show any germination was the container under lights. not the best pic i know ,but these little guys are tiny and even if it was in focus it still looks like a little snot not much of a thread at the moment but with a bit of luck i hope it will be an ongoing saga,any advice as always is welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No stratification? I have ceph seeds in the fridg, you think its a bad thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have heard mixed reports ,so i suppose i took the easy option,i will have to see how many pop up ,some people use the fridge method,but lots don't and are still happy with the results.I think there are many methods,fresher the better is the advice i went with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see

My seeds are from Stephen Morley, eden black x eden black, i hope germination rate will be good !
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck with your seeds Maiden,i have seen a very nice fast growing clone come from eden black x eden black,fingers crossed you can get something similar,buy the way Stephen Morley's advice on sowing ceph seeds was to sow fresh and to leave in a frost free greenhouse over winter, and when temps and photo period increase naturally germination should begin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maiden, your seeds you'll have been alright on your unheated windowsill.
    If they are in the fridge, be sure you'll give them a light variation too when you get them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    good luck with your seeds Maiden,i have seen a very nice fast growing clone come from eden black x eden black,fingers crossed you can get something similar,buy the way Stephen Morley's advice on sowing ceph seeds was to sow fresh and to leave in a frost free greenhouse over winter, and when temps and photo period increase naturally germination should begin
    In fact, its not the first time i grow stephen's seeds, i have a big seedling with very black pitchers, but the germination rate is quite low. So this time i try the fridg stratification method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish you luck Maiden and look forward to hearing your results,and maybe another ICPS article when you get your method perfectedif you like post a pic of the dark pitcher plant here ,i would like to see

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast