User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Growing/Propagating Cephalotus non-traditional methods - Lets get a list together.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following Av8tor1's thread here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...hlight=miracle I planted 4 leaf pulls in the junk Miracle Grow garden soil, not the moisture control version he used in that thread.

2 of the 4 leaf pulls are growing! The TDS in this "watering tray" is over 500! Likely due to the soil leaking into the tray.

DSC_0359 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0360 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used those propagation sponges for years for commercial propagation of roses, and they were vastly superior to anything else I had used previously. Once I started using those, I abandoned all other rooting materials/methods. The only downside (which may or may not be an issue with Cephalotus) is that the sponge material take years to break down, so it will persist at the crown of the developing plant for a long time. I don't see any reason to think it will become a health issue for the maturing plant, but you may discover unforeseen problems somewhere down the road. I wouldn't let that deter you from using this method, though. It looks very promising.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually hoping they would last for many years before breaking down in the medium so that's good news for what I'm trying to do, I'm even more hopeful they will break down slower with a constant moisture and no other medium. I'm trying the largest ones I could find right now and they are 1.75" across, have you ran across any larger ones?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I was actually hoping they would last for many years before breaking down in the medium so that's good news for what I'm trying to do, I'm even more hopeful they will break down slower with a constant moisture and no other medium. I'm trying the largest ones I could find right now and they are 1.75" across, have you ran across any larger ones?
    I doubt they come much bigger than that (I typically used 1" wide plugs), but if you want larger rooting materials, you should try working with Oasis, the stuff florists use for flower arrangements (there are two types; the dry and the wet, so make sure you don't get the DRY Oasis, which does not absorb water) I have friends who used Oasis for rooting many woody shrubs. It comes in blocks and you can cut pieces to suit your needs. It is stiff though so you will need to poke holes to insert your leaf cuttings into.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and picked up some of the wet floral stuff last week and was playing around with it today. This stuff seems like it would compress too much over time to be a good long term medium so I gave it to my kid to play with. Just basic handling to get it home and ready for the leaf pull was compressing the outside 1/8-1/4" dents, long term I don't think it would do well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I packed up one of the seed starting sponge Cephs this morning and there were no visible roots on this one, 3 of 4 so far have had visible roots. The TDS from the water these rafts are floating in was 380s today, likely from the MG test pots leaching into the "water tray". So it would seem high fert TDS is fine for leaf pulls. There are a few bad things growing on the tops of the sponges due to the lack of any airflow.

Photos from the original block from this morning, the empty cells are all in the hands of TF members to help provide feedback.

DSC_0372 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Older leaf pulls.

DSC_0373 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Younger leaf pulls

DSC_0374 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all in!
    Ugh! I woke up to my squat flower stalk being snapped off. Not sure exactly what happened but that sent me into a blind angry leaf pulling spree. Given the results Randell has had I didn't try any traditional plantings. Planted all of the Squat, double ribbed and HG leaves into this sponge material.

Let me know if I have it right Randell.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks right to me, I have allowed the water trays to just dry out then refilled them, so mine are not always floating. It will be interesting to see if you can reproduce my results, different growing conditions and all.

Sorry to hear about the flower stalks, I still think the Squat has the best shot at producing a nice clone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast