What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Divisions!

So around 3 years ago, I got a little Cephalotus for my birthday.
It was around 2" in diameter, and only had little tiny baby pitchers.

I kept it under a constant 16ON/8OFF lighting cycle, 4" under a single T8 bulb, at 60-80% humidity and temperatures between 68 and 72, with no change in temperature at night.

Then, it grew into this monster:

:-O

The large pitchers on that thing are about 1" long. It was so big, I could not see the surface of the pot, and it also made a mound several inches above the surface of the medium. I never repotted it, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I decided to repot and divide it. When I pulled it out of the pot, and rinsed off the medium, there were only 3 long roots, with a few hairs. However, the rhizome, when straightened out, was about 8" long. Had I measured the ENTIRE rhizome, with all the branches, it would have been closer to 14" long.

Here are the divisions:

Those are 4" pots in 1 gallon Ziploc bags. The biggest divisions are about 3" across, and the smallest are about 1" across.

Only a few pitchers fell off while repotting, but here is the biggest one that did:

This is only about 3/4 of the size of the largest pitcher on any of them..

I noticed that the hardest part was untangling the pitchers! :-))

As of today, the divisions appear not to have any shock, yet. There has been no wilting of the pitchers, and they look just the same as they did when they were one plant!

Considering this is my first time doing this, I'm satisfied with the results.

The only problem is, I'm already short on room! I'm going to run out at this rate!

Excellent! It looks like you got a lot of Cephalotus on your hands. ;)

Are you going to make cuttings using the pitchers? I think you can propagate it from those too.

I did put all the pitchers that fell off in the pots of my Nepenthes ventricosa. I think they should like the moist LFS.

Nice! Mine aren't growing as fast as yours.
What will you do with all of them?

I don't know what I will do with all of them. I'll probably try to use some for trades eventually, and I'm also going to try to promote flowering by giving them a seasonal photoperiod. I'd like to be able to do a seed or cutting giveaway of these eventually.

Very nice! What conditions are you growing them in? They are definately some happy looking cephs, even with the initial crowding.

Well done buddy :)

Making ceph divisions almost always cause plants setbacks. If you can do divisions without any side effects, i can say well done !!

They only look a little beat up as of today. I think the key to this was doing the entire process in less than 5 minutes, and being gentle.

All the pots were partially filled before taking the divisions and I put them in plastic bags as soon as each one was potted. The humidity in the bags has to be close to 100%. There's lots of condensation on the inside.

Their conditions have been essentially constant temperatures from 65-75 degrees.

Thanks everyone!

Back