Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mice Damaged plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shame you can't use a trap that catches them alive and relocate them somewhere else,could be an option maybe,they can be effective,sure would be a shame to indiscriminately poison the shrews or any other critter (just a thought)think shrews eat slugs too
    Last edited by corky; 02-24-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no rehabilitation for a rodent. Catching pest species and releasing them elsewhere is not only irresponsible but often illegal in most areas. Commensal rodents are not endangered species and are vectors for many mammalian diseases. Crashing a local population is never a bad idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    each to their own,i think laying down poison is pretty irresponsible when you can not be sure you even poison the critter you are after

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    each to their own,i think laying down poison is pretty irresponsible when you can not be sure you even poison the critter you are after
    If applied properly and legally i.e. in tamper resistant bait stations that only animals of a desired size can access, you pretty much have just limited it to only the desired target species. I'm a pest control technician Corky, I do this every single day. All legal, ethical and environmental factors are taken into consideration when laws, baits and bait applicators (bait stations) are designed and formulated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds a very responsible way to go about it,and in my opinion and obviously yours the only way.I just quit like shrews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To bad about the shrew since it was probably hunting the mice. Not much else for them to eat this time of year except mice and bait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shrews won't take adult mice but may occasionally eat pinkies. They often feed on worms and other critters under the frost line or tucked away in rotten logs between their stints of winter torpor. Shrews aren't strict insectivores and will take some plant matter but, I think the real culprit here are voles. They're the ones you see leaving little trails under the snow all over your yard. They dig up and eat dormant bulbs and plants all the time. Voles are often misidentified as shrews (even though they really don't resemble one another very closely) by not only my clients but other technicians in the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I the anticoagulants apparently do build in the larger predators bodies though... just read a nat geo article about mt lions in California are being found dead from anticoagulants... and the NPR story about fishers dying from consuming poisoned rats too. So I would assume any small predators in my neck of the woods would be at risk too since they are going after these guys all the time.

A guy I work with likes to spout how he has to take rat poison (to keep his blood thinned). I like the traps anyway since I see the results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast