What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first potential Heliamphora cultivar, candidates?

Good question.....

Heliamphora is very species specific and beyond that, very individual specific.

I have several crosses that were all done at the same time. Some hybrid populations are still all small and immature.
Other crosses have specimens that became adults in under two years, while some siblings took a little longer, and some have yet to mature.

This is true even though they have all been grown under the exact same conditions, and in the case of siblings, the same pot.
So, in my experience, hybrid vigor does exist, but it's very individualized.
This is one reason for selecting and naming a special cultivar, wink wink ;-)

I would also assume the inverse is true as well, some are destined to be runts...

I don't have any experience making Nepenthes hybrids, so I don't know if this is true of them... but I would have to assume so.

Last edited:
Lots of nepenthes hybrids are easier to grow than their parent species, I have never heard of a hybrid which was more difficult than the parent species.

Lots of nepenthes hybrids are easier to grow than their parent species, I have never heard of a hybrid which was more difficult than the parent species.

Apparently, you've never heard of Nepenthes burbidgea x edwardsiana...........

Awesome looking plants Pokie. Quite a bit of variation going on between the 2. Good job growing them and kudos to Butch for making them !

The infamous "burb-eddie" -- one of the most exasperating hybrids ever unleashed into commerce.

Well, I haven't been growing CPs for very long though. Wow, harder than either parent, that seems counter intuitive. Does the hybrid at least have the pitchers to make the trouble worthwhile?

nice looking plants thanks for sharing....I just grow them in my windowsill.

IIRC,
Carl grows H. minor on his windowsill, and its an awesome specimen.

A little update on the juniors. First up, H. parva [the accepted name is actually H. tatei f. parva] x sarracenioides AKA Butchie jr #1:
15141511764_e4c6dd417c_c.jpg

H. tatei f. parva x sarracenioides AKA Butchie jr #2, giving a red flourescent color. Honestly, the picture does not do the color intensity justice, and in real life appears surreal. If you know me, you would probably have accused me of dressing jr up with lipstick :-D
15576057048_6ca7dd9d4b_c.jpg

15759601071_c277e7ae63_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding progress Pokie

:awesome:

H. tatei f. parva x folliculata seedling = Butchie jr #3
This cross is turning out to be extremely beautiful :beer:
15650788298_01b9a916ba_c.jpg

Last edited:
H. tatei f. parva x folliculata
With a little more light, she is coloring up nicely. :banana2:
15946346726_66b87b84e8_z.jpg

of all the siblings, mine included.... that is the nicest I know of
beautiful combination of H. folliculata pitcher shape and H. tatei f. parva coloration and fuzz

if it continues, that is the one to make a named cultivar

I took some point and click shots of my PxF's

PxF #1
pxf1_dec2014.jpg

PxF#2
pxf2_dec2014.jpg

#2's newest pitcher is different than any before it.
Both plants are rather huge, each has pitcher's approx. 6" in height.

PxS has so far been meh, and I expected it to be the rock star..... go figure.

Stunning, Butch. Your creations are really shaping up nicely.

PxS here has only juvenile pitchers. Somehow I screwed up and it suffered a setback, but it's started to recover. Still have high hopes for it.

I hope to attempt pollinating H. pulchella with pollen from H. tatei f. parva...???

H. pulchella and H. tatei f. parva may be an interesting cross, might be a giant pseudo H. minor var. pilosa lol,
My newest pxs pitcher is looking different, so maybe she is about to do something special finally.

Listen to your sensei, she will teach you well.... get tuning fork

Back