Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia "Mountain Form"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double post

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 04-01-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That plant producing the mature looking pitchers must be one robust clone.

HC, you have sufficiently inspired me to grow this species out from seed.

I now have five different sets of Darlingtonia seed sitting in cold stratification in my fridge.

You said you had more difficulty with seeds from Siskiyou.

One of my seed sets is called Giant Plant from the Siskiyou Mts, Del Norte Co. California.

I also am trying out two sets of seed from the Sierra Nevada Mts. in California - Plumas Co. and Nevada Co.

As well, I have seed stratifying from the Gasquet, California location listed at 100m in elevation.

Although these plants grow in both Oregon and California, I only have seeds listed with California locales.

Also in cold strat, are a bunch of "Red Tongues", with no locale info, so these might be from someone's plant in cultivation, I'm not sure.

It will be interesting to see how the Mountain varieties fare against the lower elevation Gasquet seedlings.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 04-01-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be wary of any labels like "red tongue," since from any one batch you might end up with numerous color forms. I'm thinking the Siskiyou seeds I have may just be old (and now you've got me thinking about getting some other localities too, like Gasquet).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post

Although these plants grow in both Oregon and California, I only have seeds listed with California locales.

dvg
    Oregon prohibits collecting or trimming(as well as transporting or selling) any parts of the plant on public lands. California has weighed protections in the past but doesn't have any prohibitions in place that i know of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would explain the lack of Oregon seed locales Pebes.

When I was looking at maps of Darlingtonia distribution in Oregon and California, the species ran up the entire Oregon coast, almost to Washington state, with one further inland pocket, I believe.

California distribution sites were shown as inland pockets in the mountains, with some brief coastal activity where California merges into Oregon.

I wonder if there is much difference between the northern coastal Oregon plants and the more mountainous California plants.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 04-02-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is in how they grow. Mountain plants are far more tolerant of high temperatures, low humidity, fluctuations in water level, etc. The coastal forms are used to constant cold water, low temps, high humidity, etc. and expect it in cultivation, at least from all I've read.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I'd be wary of any labels like "red tongue," since from any one batch you might end up with numerous color forms. I'm thinking the Siskiyou seeds I have may just be old (and now you've got me thinking about getting some other localities too, like Gasquet).
    Yeah, I would be expecting some variation in any seed lot.

As for the label "Red Tongues", I would assume that the mother plant, that the seeds were collected from, would have the blood red fishtail appendage.

Barry Rice is his CP book mentioned different variances in pigmentation patterns with these plants.

One type pattern he labled as "Crimson fangs", describing them as "fabulously beautiful".

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    There is in how they grow. Mountain plants are far more tolerant of high temperatures, low humidity, fluctuations in water level, etc. The coastal forms are used to constant cold water, low temps, high humidity, etc. and expect it in cultivation, at least from all I've read.
    In the first edition of The Savage Garden, the author notes that most Darlingtonia in cultivation are the coastal variety.

That may explain some the problems these plants are having in cultivation.

It seems the coastal variants have a narrower window of tolerance than the mountain varieties do.

Whereas, the mountainous forms can experience summertime highs into the high 90s, and on the other hand experiencing snow loads in the winter.

The coastal forms, average a consistent 67F according to one source I read.

So, although the coastal types experience less drastic temperature swings, they also seem to be less tolerant of being outside their narrow comfort zone.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 04-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No seedlings to post up yet, but do have this seed factory currently under construction.

Hopefully, in a few months time i'll be seeing seedlings springing up from my own plant.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 04-05-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast