Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia "Mountain Form"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia "Mountain Form"

One of my seedling D. californica has been producing mature pitchers for a while, the only one out of around 50 or so that has yet to produce the snake pitchers, and has begun showing some color.

Hopefully soon the rest will follow suit, and considering they're growing in relatively low light, once they get put into brighter conditions hopefully the colorful ones will show some real promise.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very impressive Hcarlton!

Darlingtonia are not the easiest plants to grow out from seed.

Just curious to know how old your seedlings are and if you grow them under lights.

The young seedlings of these plants can easily fry under lights.

What temps did you grow these under to avoid this happening to them.

Great growing there!

dvg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, these guys are only around a year or so old, started sometime last year. They are under lights, but this pot is currently in a rather shady corner, and not receiving the best it could be (that will change soon as things get moved around). As for temps, not really sure what they experience in that corner, but throughout the year the greenhouse will fluctuate from low 60's winter nights to mid 80's, low 90's on summer days. The shelf level they're on probably is 5 degrees lower than that.
    Curiously, these are the only seeds I really have luck with. The Darlingtonia Siskiyou Co. seeds I have yet to keep a sprout alive long enough to produce pitchers, but I think that may be because they keep getting shaded out by unwanted moss.
    Also, mountain form plants are relatively tough when it comes to temps, as long as the roots are a little cooler, and aerated. the pot they're in is a tall ceramic, hand made by me, with holes spiraling around the outside.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did these come from my giveaway? that is some impressive progress in such a short time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Hcarlton.

Thanks to you and this thread, I've decided to try my hand at growing these out from seed, after seeing the amazing success that you've had with your Cobra seedlings.

dvg

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job, HC. Really great to see someone having success with these from seed.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pebes, they might be from your seeds, I tend to have a horrible memory about what seeds come from where. I certainly wasn't expecting mature pitchers yet, though, thinking they would need at least a couple years, and at least one dormancy period first, but I was wrong
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dat mountain form! Great job.

I have not had much success growing Darlingtonia at all, mature or otherwise. It looks like you are taking on the challenge with ease.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast