Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Sarracenia minor shots

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Perhaps you can donate some plant material or seeds to the NASC and they can help safe-guard the genetics in their growers program.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    This is great! You are so fortunate to have land that is suitable for growing CPs. Wherever you are, I hope the Sarracenia minor gets naturalized and spreads throughout.
    I strongly suspect that it is already naturalized! The issue that concerns me is that there used to be S. flava and S. psittacina here as well as several types of Drosera and Pinguicula. The S. minor grew in the higher areas at the front of the property with the Pings, the S. psittacina and Drosera grew in the ditches and bogs around the pond and the S. flava grew in mostly wet pine savanna near the back of the property. I've not found anything other than the S. minor in my recent survey. I haven't spent as much time in the back of the property as I would have liked to though, there may still be something back there.

Would it be unethical to reintroduce the S. psittacina and S. flava if they appear to be extirpated?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfanator View Post
    A timely prescribed burn would really help, you could get in contact with a local state agency for timing and assistance with this.
    I talked to my grandma about this, she's opposed to the idea of burning her yard. Would annual bush hogging of the property have a similar effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Excellent. Perhaps you can donate some plant material or seeds to the NASC and they can help safe-guard the genetics in their growers program.
    Indeed! I've been researching the NASC and it appears as though it is a great non-profit that is closely aligned to the ideals that I believe in. I'd be happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Very cool! If you are clearing with hand tools, I recommend painting the cut stems with a rag soaked in Roundup (or a spray bottle). Most things like sweetgum and privet pop right back from the roots.
    I'm a big fan of glyphosate. I use it at work, it is extremely effective. I'll pursue this course of action, its a very good idea!
    Last edited by Chicxulub; 04-28-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicxulub View Post
    Would it be unethical to reintroduce the S. psittacina and S. flava if they appear to be extirpated?

I talked to my grandma about this, she's opposed to the idea of burning her yard. Would annual bush hogging of the property have a similar effect?
    As long as you have the permission of the landowner (your grandmother), you should be able to plant whatever you want in the yard as long as it is not declared noxious by the state. There is nothing ethical or unethical about reintroducing species on private property.

As for bush hogging, it would probably work. I don't know if bush hogs like eating Sarracenia rhizomes, but I know that someone has used cows to graze and it had a beneficial effect on Sarracenia. You could also mow the land to keep the surrounding vegetation from crowding out the Sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    super cool pics! ur lucky to have these growing near you.thanks for posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    As long as you have the permission of the landowner (your grandmother), you should be able to plant whatever you want in the yard as long as it is not declared noxious by the state. There is nothing ethical or unethical about reintroducing species on private property.

As for bush hogging, it would probably work. I don't know if bush hogs like eating Sarracenia rhizomes, but I know that someone has used cows to graze and it had a beneficial effect on Sarracenia. You could also mow the land to keep the surrounding vegetation from crowding out the Sarracenia.
    Thanks for the input! I was more concerned with this community's view of the ethics of the reintroduction; the state of Florida doesn't have any laws in reference to my planting new Sarracenia as long as I'm not poaching wild ones to replenish my supply.

As for a bush hog though, that's the term for those giant mowers people pull behind tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    super cool pics! ur lucky to have these growing near you.thanks for posting!
    Thanks! I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, I would talk to a biologist that manages these types of habitats, to get ideas on improving the growing conditions for these plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What county do you live in? I may be able to help you find flava and psittacina from that region. Are there some anthocyanin free minors in there? I'll be in the panhandle area towards the end of my if you want to discuss some ideas for clearing underbrush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    What county do you live in? I may be able to help you find flava and psittacina from that region. Are there some anthocyanin free minors in there? I'll be in the panhandle area towards the end of my if you want to discuss some ideas for clearing underbrush.
    I live elsewhere, but my grandma's land is in Nassau county. All of her minor are the typical variety, though they seem to be on the larger side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast