What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly thief!

He'll make a tasty snack himself!

Must be a pretty lazy spider.

This is fairly common, many of my nepenthes have spiders in them, they will be sitting on the lip if you sneak up but once they spot you they jump in, I don't get many spiders in my sarra's, but I do have small frogs that climb in them by day then crawl out at night, if you watch them the frogs eat any fly that goes in.
Lizards are another common theif that readilly steal from both my cultivated drosera as well as from the local Drosera adelae populations.

Some of the nep spiders even go as far as making webs under the lids.

With all these thieves, small wonder that Drosera schizandra seems to be becoming non-carnivorous, although hopefully on the other side of the spectrum we will see plants evolve to eat these organisms that steal from them.

Smart spider. Knows how to take advantage of someone else's advertising budget!

With all these thieves, small wonder that Drosera schizandra seems to be becoming non-carnivorous, although hopefully on the other side of the spectrum we will see plants evolve to eat these organisms that steal from them.

Considering most of these thieves eat there catch right there, it is not necessarily a great loss for the plant. Any left overs will drop into the pitcher as well possible deposition of feces from the thief.

Haha. My sarrs have the same pesky problem.

9731867551_c6f3f8bf08_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8287x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back