Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to label and catalogue your collection

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to label and catalogue your collection

Hi all! I am looking into trying to breed Sarracenia a la Mike Wang/Rob Co/Brooks Garcia/Jerry Addington and wanted to take a survey of the ways you all label your collections. I'm still in the early stages of building a Sarr collection, but I imagine sooner or later I could get in over my head trying to keep track of all the crosses I've made or even be able to write complex labels very easily and quickly.

Does anybody use computers to keep up with their collections? I am considering having an Excel document with various categories of info about each plant. That's in addition to individually labeling the plants.

Also, for those out there with crazy multi-generational crosses, how do you label your stuff? Furthermore, how do you prevent the potential for labels to be broken, stolen by animals, or lost? Any kinds of labels work better than others? I already know pencil's the best for making your writing last.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Any kinds of labels work better than others?
    Brother P-Touch
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brother P-Touch Model: PT1280 laminated label maker works great.

I've got plant labels 5 years old and they look the same as when I printed them out, the adhesive hasn't loosened nor has the print faded any amount in that time.

If you have a website / nursery / etc you can get custom printed rolls of 5" long x 1/2" wide plastic plant tags with your logo or website URL on one side for about $40 per 1000 labels. To keep my labels from coming out I usually shove them most of the way down into the pot so just the tip sticks up since I have no actual need to see the label unless I'm making cuttings and need to copy the label.
    Last edited by swords; 05-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely one that interfaces with your puter.... I got a small thermal hand held portable and its a PITA to use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Ptouch D200 was on sale for about $23 at OfficeMax over here. was down $20 from list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for all the feedback! The options all seem neat and I'll begin looking into them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use thick white plastic plant labels and a GONTP (Good Old Number 2 Pencil). On the label, I put my ID code twice (once at the top, and once half-way down the label). This way, if the top of the label breaks off, I still have the ID code. I also have a color coding system to keep track of individual plants in the collection: Red = primary stock plant, Yellow = secondary stock plant and green = available for trade, etc. I always keep at least two pots of each plant if possible, and more of really rare stuff. I slide these colored labels behind the main ID label.

My ID codes are an easy way for me to know what's what. I have a different code for each Sarracenia species and hybrid (e.g. SFL = Sarracenia flava, followed by a #, SxEO = S. x exornata) and so on. I have the collection information assigned to each code in a filemaker database, but I have been largely using a google docs spreadsheet for the task these days.
    Last edited by jlechtm; 05-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast