What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this pot work for cephalotus?

I keep hearing that cephs seem to thrive in selfwatering pots
would this one work? and could it be a plastic pot with a wick?
51Pjd5nqoiL._SX270_.jpg

Product Details

This self-watering pot is the answer to people who do not want to be "slaves" to their plants. The plant is planted in the inner pot and simply keep water in the outer pot, which in turn wicks water to the inner pot and plant as needed. Inner pot inside diameter is 2.25 inches. The exact color of the pot may vary slightly.

Ideal for plants such as: African Violets, Asparagus Fern, Boston Fern, Christmas Cactus, Chrysanthemum, Grape Ivy, Swedish Ivy, Peace Lily, Philodendron, Poinsettia, Spider Plant, and virtually every other house plant.

Plants not included
2 Pots in 1. With felt feet to prevent surface scratching
1 Pot for the Plant, 1 Pot for the Water
Heavy Glazed Ceramic Pot
Great for all house plants
4 3/8" x 3". Plant not included

Last edited:
I like those pots. I've only seen them carried in a couple of stores but they're so expensive...I'll need to keep my eyes open for online deals and garage sales.

Yes, it works very well. It will provide just the right amount of water to the plant. I don't know about one with a wick, I would say no, butit could work. If you have a plant to test it with that you wouldn't mind losing, go ahead.

Last edited:
and this specific pot wouldnt be too short for a young ceph or seedlings? somewhere I read that short pots can rot faster and stay waterlogged, that doesn't apply to these self watering pots right

It would be best to get one as big as possible to allow for growing plants, and not only should cephs be grown in deep pots to accommodate for their long roots, but the pots that are wider than they are deep do not work well at all.

Last edited:
Would a lighter more "airy" mix be needed/desirable?

I use 1:1 peat and sand for mine.

Last edited:
Oh. Wasn't sure if the pot type in question would require something different.
Thanks!

What I see as advantages for AV pots:
1) Insulates root zone with the double wall, keeps roots cool
2) Soil stays saturated and evenly moist, good for sundews
3) Purty!

Disadvantages:
1) Hard to fill with overhead water (I have too many plants and it's labor-intensive!)
2) Soil splashing and washing out is kind of an issue
3) Hard to find AV pots bigger than 4" and if you do they're expensive
4) IME they stay too waterlogged for VFTs... I haven't tried Cephs in them but to me it seems like you're asking for trouble. I would make sure you have a good soil mix that'll stay aerated!

I get great capillary rise with 1:1 peat/sand as well. Works awesome for dews and I personally would think twice about using it for other stuff. However, I do not micromanage any of my plants and if you are, say, using it inside a terrarium where you micromanage the water level it might work!

What I see as advantages for AV pots:
1) Insulates root zone with the double wall, keeps roots cool
2) Soil stays saturated and evenly moist, good for sundews
3) Purty!

Disadvantages:
1) Hard to fill with overhead water (I have too many plants and it's labor-intensive!)
2) Soil splashing and washing out is kind of an issue
3) Hard to find AV pots bigger than 4" and if you do they're expensive
4) IME they stay too waterlogged for VFTs... I haven't tried Cephs in them but to me it seems like you're asking for trouble. I would make sure you have a good soil mix that'll stay aerated!

I get great capillary rise with 1:1 peat/sand as well. Works awesome for dews and I personally would think twice about using it for other stuff. However, I do not micromanage any of my plants and if you are, say, using it inside a terrarium where you micromanage the water level it might work!

yea trying to find a nice tall pot that isnt 30-40+ $ is looking to be impossible

SO could I just slack pot until I find a good AV pot?
its for seed/seedlings by the way, so I was thinking about chopping LFS and mixing it with perlite for media
any opinions help

Last edited:
Back