Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus flower stalks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus flower stalks

What am I going to do with all of these?

All of the plants except a few smaller ones have stalks galore. Not sure if this will set back the plants much back but I might let all of them flower. Have a bit of a height problem but i don't think it will hender the development of seed. Thoughts

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are going to make a lot of new friends....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!! Looks like ebay will soon become your new friend! Do you have any pics of your whole set up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have found that when I allowed my Cephalotus to flower as much as they pleased, it delayed new pitchers by a month or more. (Even though none of them formed seeds) For this reason I am not allowing my plants to make more then one flower stalk per plant. Just something to consider. Am I the only one who has observed this effect?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-19-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    FWIW, I have found that when I allowed my Cephalotus to flower as much as they pleased, it delayed new pitchers by a month or more. (Even though none of them formed seeds) For this reason I am not allowing my plants to make more then one flower stalk per plant. Just something to consider. Am I the only one who has observed this effect?
    that was one of my concerns. the two larger plants have about 6 stalks each, which will be extremely taxing on the plant. I do intend to thin them out. might leave 2 on each plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want seeds i would cross pollinate with a small paint brush,if you do not then chop em,you can self pollinate but more chance of interesting offspring if you cross between different clones,so i'm told,if you keep the flowers i would feed the pitchers ,or i am controversially using a half strength orchid fert in the water,but that's a bit experimental and i would not say to do it.Them stalks will get long
    Last edited by corky; 05-14-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following on Corky's note about fertilizer: I have used MaxSea on my Cephalotus many times (sometimes during the Nepenthes fertilizer cycle I dump in on the Cephalotus also, sometimes I skip them). I have witnessed neither a benefit nor detriment to the plants as a result, so my impression is that they don't care if I apply it or not. FWIW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you may find this interesting http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=50479 i am experimenting myself ,but of course i would not tell anyone else too,but feeding the pitchers has got to be a good thing,after all they aint evolved to look pretty (but they do)
    Last edited by corky; 05-14-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast