What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check this out, bog Cobra out of place

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I spotted these Darlingtonia sprouts peeking up amongst a clump of VFT in the bog. It seems one of the bog cobras is sending out some stolons and decided this looked like a good place to sprout, haha.

14258384481_129a03edc4_z.jpg
[/url]Cobra out of place 2014 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

14259536152_83872b6dea_z.jpg
[/url]Cobra out of place by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Good luck removing them from that crowded clump.

I think the Darlingtonia will look really cool emerging from that field of flytraps.

But they would compete with each other for growing room.

Pretty good camouflage, as long as it stays all green.

Just like they do in the wild with other plants.
Looks good and is a more natural setting IMO. Traps don't naturally grow with cobras but I doubt it matters to them.

Whenever I see in situ photos of Dionaea there're always rushes, grasses, and other random stuff poking out from between the traps.

Nah, no need to remove them. The cobras send out stolons that sprout up even through the thick mat of mazus around the bog edges and that VFT is a Dente variety, which grow like weeds even through moss and weeds. Cobras benefit from growing with moss or other cover as it keeps the roots cool in the heat of summer. It will be interesting to watch what happens with these though.

Part of the bog where the cobras have been growing for a few years, started off with one plant and it multiplied. Pic taken today.

14239242786_74002c270a_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_9583x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think the Darlingtonia will look really cool emerging from that field of flytraps.

I do too! It seems every year there is something unusual going on in the bog as it wakes up, I love spring!

Last edited:
I do too! It seems very year there is something unusual going on in the bog as it wakes up, I love spring!
-

What is ever normal about a bog?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wow. Peter D'Amato has a funny story about D. capensis growing in the back seat of his car.

Last edited:
Is that seriously growing inside of a pitcher?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wow. Peter D'Amato has a funny story about D. capensis growing in the back seat of his car.

Well, I guess that beats the stray cape seed that sprouted in thick duck weed around the edges of my pond once, but they only survived half the season.

Is that seriously growing inside of a pitcher?

Yep. I have not checked to see if there is a hole in the bottom of that pitcher the dew came up through, which is possible as it is last years pitcher. Purp pitchers get so full of water and debris I have no doubt seed could sprout in them though.

I never would have thought that would be possible, but I have seen pictures of Utricularia humboldtii growing in a Heliamphora pitcher and a Nepenthes pitcher inside another (different species).

Back