Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia windows

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia windows

Now I have all my plants together I get to sit, look at them and compare. I am noticing that the textures can vary quite a bit. One of my clones , a Mike Brooks' seedling has domed windows which gives the plant a warty reptilian appearance. I've checked with the friend whom I received it from and he says not one of the ones he retained has this. ( One of the benefits of growing from seed ).
    Here's some photos of four of the clones I have.

Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the words to describe how neat that is. Great photos! I'm a little jealous of your camera. I'm going to have to get out my jewelers loupe and check mine out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Fred. Very odd that the windows on the Mike Brooks clone look convex while the rest all look concave. Very interesting photos.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the windows on the Mike Brooks one definitely look out of this world. Really nice to see how different they are compared to the other windows.

By the way, what does clone mean in the context of plants? I've always thought they referred to plants that were divisions or tissue cultures that originated from other plants, but I've never heard seedlings referred to as clones before.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received the Mike Brooks' seedling as a very small seedling ( this may explain the name ) and I have checked back with the supplier. None of the other plants grown from this batch of seed has the same domed windows.

Seed growing rules!

Tanukimo. we, that is many growers, use the term clone wrongly but we mostly understand what we mean. In this context it is an individual plant and or vegetative progeny of it, they have identical genes. ( At least that's what I mean)

Zath, it's a Fujifilm bridge camera which cost about $150 a few years ago. I use it as a field camera and it has been dropped on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by fredg; 06-03-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Zath, it's a Fujifilm bridge camera which cost about $150 a few years ago. I use it as a field camera and it has been dropped on more than one occasion.
    My problem is that my camera has no way of adding aftermarket lenses. With my old film Canon, I had some macro lenses that could take photos like that, but it's been broken for a long time. Something in the film-advance assembly has snapped, and my only camera repair shop wants $250 just to ship it to California to have it looked at, before they quote any repair costs to me.

....So now I have a Nikon Coolpix P500.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bridge cameras have no way of changing lenses either. One lens does it all. They're not just cheap and cheerful they take good photos too.
    Fred

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG, great succession of pics showing the interesting variations. Thank you for posting these!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast