Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favi's Heli Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favi's Heli Thread

I received my Heliamphora nutans x ionasii from a great friend, on February 24 of this year. As you can see in the picture the size, shape and color is just gorgeous.

The medium consists of LFS & Cypress mulch and I feed it these fish pellets:

I put a plastic bag over it, with a light on top. I had it like that for about a week before I started putting holes in the bag in order to lower the humidity. At the end of the second week, I put it on my office’s windowsill. I thought that two 40 watt spot lights would be enough since it was getting some sun light. As you can see in the picture that is all new growth. I cut off all the old pitchers it had from when I first received it.

This is the bulbs I used:

The pitchers obviously weren't getting enough light which is why they have this shape.

So I talked to my friend and I decided to change it to 6500K. The previous bulb was only 2700K
    These are the 6500K:

I decided to not only change the light bulbs but also, move it into my desk where it be cooler and not get the heat from the window.

After a week, color started appearing!

And better shape!

And larger growth!

And finally, A GREAT FORM

I’m very happy with the outcome and I will keep an update on the next pitchers to come!
    Thank you for your time!
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wow.... nice gift and very well done Favi!

Looks like you graduated Heli 101 with honors lol
    Very nice photodocumented example on the effects of lighting on Heliamphora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Favian I have used 27 watt (="100 watt incandescent equivalent") compact fluorescent lights to grow Heliamphora for many years. You are getting very nice results with a lower powered bulb, but FWIW you may find that the stronger bulbs give even better results or allow you to use fewer bulbs. I grow my tallest tatei under 2 of these 27 watt (consumption) bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 42 watt (consumption) 6500k 2900 lumen CFLs for my Nepenthes and Heliamphora with good results. They don't give the plants much color though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, guys! The other two new pitchers are looking great! I will post in two weeks for followup!
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem with CFL's is a lot of energy is lost due to so much of the bulb being pointed in the wrong direction....
    Very hard (impossible) to efficiently focus that energy... why you don't see them in the ceilings of walmart stores etc etc.

good solution, and many times the right solution, but they have their downside...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favian: great photos and plants, thanx főr sharing. You are truly talented.

For the fish food....can you post a picture of the ingredients listing?
    Last edited by Maiden; 06-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    One problem with CFL's is a lot of energy is lost due to so much of the bulb being pointed in the wrong direction....
    Very hard (impossible) to efficiently focus that energy... why you don't see them in the ceilings of walmart stores etc etc.

good solution, and many times the right solution, but they have their downside...
    Butch, I be open to suggestions on what would be the next step up, in lighting for this species.
    Your momma!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast