User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. minor vs. Okee Giant and anthocyanin free...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S. minor vs. Okee Giant and anthocyanin free...

I have some questions I hope that this fine community can help me to address.

The first is how do I differentiate between normal S. minor and the Okee giants? The minors on my land are regularly over two feet tall, but I am not very close to the Okefenokee.

The second question I have is how do identify if my plants are anthocyanin free?

As I've mentioned in several previous posts, I have acreage that I care for; some parts of which have either overgrown or have never been properly broken and explored. As I made my way into some unbroken brush, I found a plant that I didn't previously know about. It was about two feet tall and completely lacked any red coloration.

How do I determine if this plant is special or if it is just poorly pigmented because it is growing I'm the shade?

Thanks all,

Rob
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anthocyanin free = little to no red coloration.

Okee Giant is skinny and taller on average.
    Last edited by LeafKirby; 06-19-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Based on your info, I might just have an anthocyanin free Okee Giant.

Thoughts?

And a "normal" plant from my land. Both plants have leaves that stand about two feet tall.

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say without a closer look at the rhizome. Plants grown in deep shade can often appear to lack any red coloration. Anthocyanin free plants will have absolutely no red coloration on them anywhere at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Hard to say without a closer look at the rhizome. Plants grown in deep shade can often appear to lack any red coloration. Anthocyanin free plants will have absolutely no red coloration on them anywhere at all.
    Thanks for the input!

How would I go about checking the rhizome? Dig it up? I'd rather not do that but I'm open to the possibility if I can do it without killing the plant.

Do you suppose that these are Okees or just very large 'normal' minors? I've seen a bunch of normal minors elsewhere here in Florida and they're never anywhere near as large as these.

EDIT- I'm in Nassau County Florida about 20 miles due east of the Okefenokee.
    Last edited by Chicxulub; 06-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can probably scrape back the soil enough to get a good look at the rhizome but, as stated above if the plant is growing in the shade it may be tough to tell.

S.minor var. okeefenokeensis is (as far as I know) confined to the Okeefenokee swamp area. Possibly another giant form ? How far are these plants from the Okeefenokee ?

Also, some shots with a tape measure beside it would help with size verification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    You can probably scrape back the soil enough to get a good look at the rhizome but, as stated above if the plant is growing in the shade it may be tough to tell.

S.minor var. okeefenokeensis is (as far as I know) confined to the Okeefenokee swamp area. Possibly another giant form ? How far are these plants from the Okeefenokee ?

Also, some shots with a tape measure beside it would help with size verification.
    I'm in Nassau County, Florida about 20 miles due east of the Okefenokee. The back portion of my grounds are in the Big Funk Swamp.

I have a crappy cell phone pic with my machete for quick reference, but I'll get you a pic with a tape measure tomorrow or the day after whilst I try to check the rhizome. I'm not going back there again without bathing in Deet first lol.

Here's the shot. The machete is 27" from tip to tip with a few inches obviously stuck in the dirt for these pics. I know it's not ideal, but it can give you an idea.

EDIT- these pics are from yesterday. I cleared out the sawgrass for the pics with my good camera today.

Last edited by Chicxulub; 06-19-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so cool that you can just slog out there any time you need your S. minor fix lol! Thanks for sharing! Keep your eyes peeled for sundews and Butterworts.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast