What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus question

How big does the cz giants get? And is german giants the largest?

German giant isn't much larger than my typical clones and is extremely slow. hasent been a fav of it but my does have decent coloration.

It is pretty. But if size is something you want, I havent gotten that out of this clone. Get a hummers

For what it's worth, regular Cephalotus can get pretty big too.
attachment.php

The center pitcher is at least 1.5".

But if you really want big pitchers, Hummer's is the way to go.

Nice plants!
Always buy from a reputable grower. If they are not sure if it's a hummer chances are that it's not. I would remember if I were dividing my plants!

My hummers

Theyre gorgeous! Im stuck should i get czech giants or hummers?

Last edited:
If given a choice, I would definitely choose the HG. It's all up to you in the end, though.

Flipped a coin and got the czech giants from carnivorousplantnursery said that they have some that are bigger than hummers and has better color. Not only that but ive been looking around and this is the only place online that i could find that sells it. I see hummers on ebay. So i guess my next ceph is the hummers.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a pic of a mature czech giant?

There are atleast 4? good growers that sell Cephs on E-bay with a small amount of time you can figure out who is who. Otherwise buyer beware.

If I had to pick only 1 clone it would be the Squat, followed by the Emu Point clone I have (not all Cephs named Emu Point are the same, its a location not a clone so who knows how many clones of Emu Point are in the US), followed by Big Boy, then Czech Giant. Little warning...the Squat clone has a reputation of being a more delicate Ceph, so beware. May be true, may not.

I have received two HG from different sources, both I believe are traceable back to the original grower and have never had anything "special" from that clone that I have not gotten with the Emu clone or the Big Boy clone. If it makes you feel better about your choice...if I removed all the labels from all my Cephs I could only ID one type of clone...the Squat, everything else is VERY subjective.

As for the German Giant it has been the slowest, hardest to propagate, and lest note worthy Ceph I have. Any typical I have ever grown was better in every way. Maybe it just doesn't like my conditions.

If you haven't already check out http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/134965-Cephalotus-consolidated/page4 everything I know about Ceph clones/names is there.

Just be careful of named Cephs, I know I could rename this one and sell it as a new clone due to the color, which has nothing to do with the clone its the LED lighting it was growing under.

DSC_0167 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Does anyone have a pic of a mature czech giant?

Try http://cpphotofinder.com/Cephalotus.html but remember so many factors effect Ceph coloration, size, ect.

Only photos I could find without moving are these. I'll see what I can do in the morning but I don't tend to keep large Cephs around, space concerns. That and I need to upgrade so much of my grow area. All these are under LED lighting, I would not expect the same coloration under most normal conditions.

Macro photo of Czech Giant skin

'Czech Giant' - Skin by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Big Boy mouth

'Big Boy' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Czech Giant mouth

'Czech Giant' - Mouth by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mid to small Czech Giant

'Czech Giant' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

They are effin pretty. Thanks rss ima check out that link and is the 1st pic you posted cz? And what led lights are you using? And do you fertilize?

The 1st pic is of the Emu Point clone.

LED info is in this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...lotus-grow-space-would-love-input!?highlight= mainly and a few other threads.

Just a warning on LEDs, they are not all created equal, you will have to do research or you will be unhappy. The ones at your local chain pet stores are NOT the same as the ones I'm using. There are plenty of good LED companies out there now, you just have to do the research and make sure.

I have and do fert but its not really on a schedule or anything set.

Back